4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

egr valve and random cylinder missfire HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 AM
jdsm-boy

Default egr valve and random cylinder missfire HELP!!!

...04 mustang gt...okay i took my car to the shop today to get a test run on the car it showed that it had a coil bad but wouldn't tell me which coil "random cylinder miss fire" and that the egr valve was bad but the mechanic told me that it was miss firing because of the egr valve going bad here is what the car does when i drive it ........feels as if sometimes when i give it gas bogs down really bad sometimes to the point that when i kick it in first want even spin and misses then it finally well pick up feels as if i hit a brick wall....also when it idles it well run smooth for a sec.then the car misses and you can feel the car shake and u can hear it in the exhaust bubbling...... also ive done changed spark plugs and fuel pump ...so does anyone have any similar problems like this and what should i do as in fixing this problem????? trying to get the car in top shape to sell....thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

well if ur mechanic said it was from a bad egr valve have you tried changing out that yet?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:09 AM
jdsm-boy

no but i couldn't see a egr valve making all them problems yes i am going to buy a new one but could that egr really cause all them problems i am having with my car? i mean it really killed my power...
Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

well the whole thing is just like a regular valve thats run off vaccum. If it is open when it is not supposed to be open, at idle for instance, It will act like one monster vacuum leak and the engine will not idle or will idle really roughly. If it doesn't open when it is supposed to open you will probably experience a symptom of "pinging" or "knocking" since the combustion chamber temperature will be higher than normal. If its not functioning correctly that means that the valve is stuck or occasionally sticks. Some try just cleaning them out and lubing them up, but my advice is to get a new valve.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 AM
jdsm-boy

so is that a yes that when i get a new egr valve that should fix all my problems with the loss of power......?????
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
jdsm-boy

anyone?????please help?????but if your gonna be a smart A$$about it because my name says jdsm-boy dont even try to help.....
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if your egr is opening or is stuck open that will cause a random cylinder miss and a pronounced loss of power. just because you have a miss doesnt mean that a coil is bad. what are the codes? that would help get a better answer to your question.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdsm-boy
anyone?????please help?????but if your gonna be a smart A$$about it because my name says jdsm-boy dont even try to help.....
lol yes that could be your problem, but i am not there so I am just going based off what you have said. Since your mechanic has had first hand dealings with it, id say go with his advice first.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
jdsm-boy

o i wasn't talking about you frostbite i was just talking about people in general on here trying to jerk me around on here because of my user name but thanks for the info frost....and thanks to the people who try to be helpful.....
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
jdsm-boy

also should i try to clean the egr valve first before buying a new one or just go ahead and buy a new one and get it over with..?

Quick Reply: egr valve and random cylinder missfire HELP!!!