4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

winding down noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Default winding down noise

Hey just have a question about a weird winding down noise I have recently noticed in my car. I have had an after market shifter for a while and I don't think it has ever been this loud. It almost sounds like a remote control car when it slows down.

When I take it out of gear the winding down continues until I come to a complete stop, also it continues to whine on the highway its not coming from my rear end it is directly under/in front of me. I did recently Install cobra brakes up front about a month and a half ago but haven't ever experienced noises like this with brakes. Also it doesn't seem as peppy as it used to. I used to break loose my tires from 1st to 2nd and 3rd and chirp fourth but know it barley lets loose in 2nd.

Do you think it might be the tranny? Maybe the calipers ceasing up? <--- I don't think so but u never know.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

does it also make this noise as you speed up? does it get gradually louder or quiter as you accelerate/decelerate?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

It seems to stay the same volume. I am required to back out of my driveway everyday and when I do so it doesn't make any noise what so ever. However as soon as I put it in gear and drive forward it begins to make the noise until the car comes pretty much to a stop.

I conducted some simple tests yesterday. I stopped on a hill took it out of gear and let it roll down the hill as soon as it picked up some speed like 9 or 10mph the whining noise began and I pushed the car around from the outside to see if the brakes were possibly making the noise but they are real quiet, no noise.

I also remember that the upper bushings on my rear end housing was beginning to crack because all the others are polyeurethane which came with my control arms. Would that possibly cause anything?

It may be possible that somthing is rubbing? Also my tranny has its flaws if going into 2nd and into 3rd but I have found my way around from grinding the gears. Maybe the tranny is on its way out? I will have to take a look underneath it this weekend. thanks guys!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

wheel bearings possibly?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If the driveshaft angle has been affected by the bad bushings, it could be a source of such sounds, although the angle would have to chenge quite a bit. Another possibility might be that the failed bushing is allowing metal-to-metal contact and transferring noise and vibration to the chassis.

As you have found polyurethane bushings suck from a longevity perspective. Urethane is much stiffer that the typical rubbers used in OEM products (it's also cheaper), but it work hardens and cracks.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

kinda off topic....but ive noticed all the fwd cars ive been in, when you go in reverse in them over like 5-10mph, they wind up like an rc car...why is that?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
kinda off topic....but ive noticed all the fwd cars ive been in, when you go in reverse in them over like 5-10mph, they wind up like an rc car...why is that?
I may be completely wrong on this but my uncle has a hurst olds 442 with straight cut gears in the tranny and it winds. I believe that reverse is a straight cut gear in most manual cars, instead of having a bevel on it.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If the driveshaft angle has been affected by the bad bushings, it could be a source of such sounds, although the angle would have to chenge quite a bit. Another possibility might be that the failed bushing is allowing metal-to-metal contact and transferring noise and vibration to the chassis.

As you have found polyurethane bushings suck from a longevity perspective. Urethane is much stiffer that the typical rubbers used in OEM products (it's also cheaper), but it work hardens and cracks.
well the ones that are cracking or tearing are the OEM ones that were not replaced which is on the upper portion of the pumpkin. All the others which are polyeurethane are fine as far as I can tell.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by True Blue Racing
I may be completely wrong on this but my uncle has a hurst olds 442 with straight cut gears in the tranny and it winds. I believe that reverse is a straight cut gear in most manual cars, instead of having a bevel on it.

True story. Helical cut gears create an "end thrust" on the gears, some transmissions are designed using slide setups for the gears, so if there was end thrust, it could pop out of gear. Reverse works this way in many cars, so a cheap fix is using straight cut gears.

Last edited by devongarver; 07-29-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

gotcha...thanks