4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Flowmaster and X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loweredfourpointsix
im not going to get what everybody else tells me to get.. im getting flowmasters cuz im getting the CB for $200.. i was just asking your opinion on what you would get..
Being that you have a catted X, I'd go with original 40 weld ins....a friend of mine runs that combo and it's not too far from my sound.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

ill post the sound clips when i eventually get em...
Old 07-30-2009, 05:01 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by POISND U
Okay, all you o/r X/Flow nutswingers need to understand something:

The vast majority of the Mustang community agrees Flows and O/R Xs sound like crap. This is not new, but everytime this subject comes up, you guys show up and act like someone kicked your mom in the vag. If you like it, good for you....most people don't, you're the minority and that's the reality.

Quit getting all butthurt.
im not 'butt hurt' but i did find your rant amusing. you forgot to add LTs. when i first got my exhaust done bbk LT,bbk o/r x pipe flowy cat back on my gt. a friend of mine had mac LT, prochamber, and the same flow master cat back. at part throttle they sounded different but a WOT they sounded the same and on the freeway both of our cars had the same 'dronning' sound around 65-70mph.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:57 PM
tobyf

holy cow to may comments.. i HaD ...... a high flow catted H. with flows.. when i bought the car.. sounded very good and was never too lound or annoying... i bought a BBK off road X .. with the flows i get TONs of compliments.. its soo throaty and sounds "under water... BUT. thats only at an idle.. any aftermarket strait though muffler will have this sound... when i am hammered it is very "raspy" and still sounds pretty good.. but when you idle down between gears in normal daily driving situations or downshift at a stop it sounds like Tin rattling and i have had people come out and say it sounds like crap.. the same ppl that liked the car at idle. lose the flows................ raspy isnt so bad when your cruzin or idle. but that Tin sound makes me sick. withought cats the flows should go.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:39 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

nice turtle toby
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM
mstang2k6
1st Gear Member

I have flows and a catted bbk x-pipe has a real nice deep tone to it, i haven't heard other x-pipe's w/flows sound like this...here's a clip of my exhaust [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HavK6Rrw2t4[/link]
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tobyf
holy cow to may comments.. i HaD ...... a high flow catted H. with flows.. when i bought the car.. sounded very good and was never too lound or annoying... i bought a BBK off road X .. with the flows i get TONs of compliments.. its soo throaty and sounds "under water... BUT. thats only at an idle.. any aftermarket strait though muffler will have this sound... when i am hammered it is very "raspy" and still sounds pretty good.. but when you idle down between gears in normal daily driving situations or downshift at a stop it sounds like Tin rattling and i have had people come out and say it sounds like crap.. the same ppl that liked the car at idle. lose the flows................ raspy isnt so bad when your cruzin or idle. but that Tin sound makes me sick. withought cats the flows should go.
FYI...the flows are a chambered muffler.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Mr99cobra
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I admit, I wish I had a H pipe but the car came with a x pipe. It still sounds good.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 PM
InferRedd
2nd Gear Member

Flowmaster x-pipe. no cats turn downs. stock headers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJyvB1uwXQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlQv76aNLbM

Last edited by InferRedd; 08-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
tobyf

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
FYI...the flows are a chambered muffler.
sorry i know.. lol i ment that changing to a strait through muffler would "still" do this. my bad.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster and X pipe