4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help, I lost a ton of acceleration when i put my CAI on!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
z03gt

no i didnt the instructions said to leave the screen out
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

try putting the screen back in ive seen some cars run good without others run like pooh without but i would try that and see what that does also did it use the factory maf
Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 PM
z03gt

Yes it uses original maf ill try the screen thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

correct me if im wrong but i dont see why you would lose horsepower from an intake.. it should let the air flow better because of the smoother intake pipe at the least.. i mean i wouldnt put an aem intake on my car but i dont see how he would lose power... i think something is wrong here.. i gained 12whp just from a K&N cone and the heat shield.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

You say you did research, if you did you would have found that a CAI does pretty much nothing for a 2v and that you should have just went with a drop in K&N.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Did you hook up the vacuum lines?

And that screen is on there to straighten out the air flowing through the MAF, so the reading is more accurate. Put it back on.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
You say you did research, if you did you would have found that a CAI does pretty much nothing for a 2v and that you should have just went with a drop in K&N.
i made 12whp on a chassis dyno at school from a K&N FIPK with the heatshield. i dont know how the intake tubing would hurt the power either, except maybe those extra bends into the fenderwell kill all the power.. the printer at school was really crappy but ill try to upload pics for you guys to show you im not making it up..
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by loweredfourpointsix
correct me if im wrong but i dont see why you would lose horsepower from an intake.. it should let the air flow better because of the smoother intake pipe at the least.. i mean i wouldnt put an aem intake on my car but i dont see how he would lose power... i think something is wrong here.. i gained 12whp just from a K&N cone and the heat shield.
An after market intake would only "let the air flow better" if the OEM intake were somehow inadequate--thing is that it isn't, in fact the Mustang OEM intake is a popular performance mod for Crown Vics...

Do you have back-to-back dyno charts for that 12 HP gain? I'd like to see 'em...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
An after market intake would only "let the air flow better" if the OEM intake were somehow inadequate--thing is that it isn't, in fact the Mustang OEM intake is a popular performance mod for Crown Vics...

Do you have back-to-back dyno charts for that 12 HP gain? I'd like to see 'em...
i actually do have those charts and those are the ones i was talking about (the ones ima try to upload).. i have no reason to make stuff up especially on here.. lol. if i wanted to make stuff up i wouldnt be running a 13.8 right? and ill also try to dyno it once i throw the TB and aftermarket intake tube.. the one with no ribs in it. im not positive but i have a good feeling ill make more power from the less restrictive intake tube/tb.

it actually makes perfect sense (to me), less restriction in the intake= more air+more fuel= more power. im not claiming to know a whole lot but thats my reasoning behind my post. how would it hurt power?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM
z03gt

thanks for all the help guys lots of input from both sides here turns out that the screen worked either that or i fixed a leak when retighting the clamps either way the power is back and maybe with a little more it feels quicker to respond now even if it has similar power. So i guess it was worth it. Thanks again to all who posted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, I lost a ton of acceleration when i put my CAI on!