4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turning the wheel, scraping pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Turning the wheel, scraping pads

I lifted up my car the other day and noticed that my brakes are hanging up. I changed the pads and both calipers by myself a long time ago... did I do something wrong? Both sides in the front are hanging up...
Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Hanging up as in you have to use a lot of force to spin the wheels at all?

Are the brakes squeeling when your going slow and foot off the brake. I had a sixxer a few weeks ago with the same problem. Replaced the caliper. If it is indeed you calipers and not bad hubs then looks like you'll need calipers. Time to upgrade to a Cobra kit
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well, idk. Because see... the calipers themselves are BRAND NEW. The Ford dealer even said that the brakes were hanging up before I replaced the two front calipers. And yes, as I come to a stop by downshifting, the brakes OCCASIONALLY squeak slightly in spurts, but I can only hear it if I am like next to a wall or in some kind of narrow space where the sound bounces back to me.

Oh and also, its easy to spin the wheels, they are just scraping slight, and I have a TON of pad left, and the pads have been on there for a year.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

They are hawk pads too, and the calipers are both OEM and painted red with anti seize lubricant on the rubber things.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Only thing I can think of is possibly a collapsed brake line, but theres supposed to be slight contact of the pad to the rotor. If the pad was actually off the rotor your brake pedal would feel like mush every time you went to stop
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i have the same thing.. i took a chance and ordered some cross drilled and slotted rotors from www.brakeperformance.com... what has S%&8ty fit.. they are the worst product i've bought for my car since... all breaks squeal and catch, some times make an VERY audible squeal when i turn left, and CONSTANT ticking..tick tick tick tick tick. ANNOYING. just a horrible fit.. they were tight going in, they are worn by now.. still not changes.. very dissatisfied with that and will wear these quick to probably just go reg. breaks. for me.. **** poor fit. thats why mine hang up squeak tick. oh.. and the pads are ceramic.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Wow!! I have always heard that those slotted drilled rotors only looked cool, and didn't really do anything for your car. Remind me never to buy those...

That's a good point about the brake pads always supposed to be slightly touching... mine only slightly touch and LIGHTLY scoure the rotor as it turns. Maybe I should try re-bleeding the brakes?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:18 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

i bought ceramic pads for my front twin piston calipers and they suck. bad feel and they squeak.