4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 Cobra '01 engine swap?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
mhungaski

Default 98 Cobra '01 engine swap?? HELP!

I have a 98 cobra that has warped heads from being overheated and a cracked block so i was planning on taking to an engine exchange and getting a rebuilt one. well i know a guy that has a teksid forged aluminum block and heads from an 01 cobra and it has the pistons, valves, springs, retainers, cams, roller rockers, and lifters. I know the 01 heads will fit on the block and im pretty sure my intake manifold from the 98 wont fit on the 01 heads because the 98 has dual runner intake design and 01 is a single runner intake design??? i need help on what i would need to do to make it work with the 01 heads because the teksid block is just a replacement of what i have so what do i need to do to make everything work with the 01 cobra heads??? will the old cams work? what new 01 cobra parts will i need if any? PLEASE HELP

Last edited by mhungaski; 08-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ok, well I've been out of the "Cobra" game for about half a year, but I'll shed some light on what I do know. I had a 98, and was looking to do the C head swap as well.

Along with the heads, you will need a 99-01 Cobra or Mach intake manifold.. Along with the throttle cable and cruise control cables.

You can keep the 96-98 style ignition, but you will need to re-use your old valve covers (99+ are COP)

Next thing is fuel. 99+ is a non-return style fuel system. This isnt a big problem, you just cut the tabs off an 99+ fuel rail and weld them on the old rail, and T off the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.

Now we get to the cross-over tube. The B head tube has different mounting tab positions, so to get it to work with the C head you will need to cut and re-weld. Or you can purchase a C head cross-over. The problem with the C crossover is it only has one bung for the coolant temp sensors, while the B crossover has 2. You can weld a bung to the C one and make it work.

I cant seem to think of anything else a the moment, but I hope this atleast gets your foot in the door.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Question, how the **** did you crack a teksid block?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
SoCalGT43
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Ok, well I've been out of the "Cobra" game for about half a year, but I'll shed some light on what I do know. I had a 98, and was looking to do the C head swap as well.

Along with the heads, you will need a 99-01 Cobra or Mach intake manifold.. Along with the throttle cable and cruise control cables.

You can keep the 96-98 style ignition, but you will need to re-use your old valve covers (99+ are COP)

Next thing is fuel. 99+ is a non-return style fuel system. This isnt a big problem, you just cut the tabs off an 99+ fuel rail and weld them on the old rail, and T off the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.

Now we get to the cross-over tube. The B head tube has different mounting tab positions, so to get it to work with the C head you will need to cut and re-weld. Or you can purchase a C head cross-over. The problem with the C crossover is it only has one bung for the coolant temp sensors, while the B crossover has 2. You can weld a bung to the C one and make it work.

I cant seem to think of anything else a the moment, but I hope this atleast gets your foot in the door.
its official if i ever have a question your the first person im asking haha
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Just a quick addition... from what I've read, the cams from the 96-98 are the most aggressive stock grind 4v cams. So I would run those in the C heads if I were you.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Just a quick addition... from what I've read, the cams from the 96-98 are the most aggressive stock grind 4v cams. So I would run those in the C heads if I were you.
I forgot about his cam question... Yes B cams are more aggressive than the C cams. So re-using them in the C heads will net you a bit more power. But if you are going to swap the heads, you should either get some Ford GT cams or custom grind.