4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pilot Bearing going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well Ford's warranty time is 2.3hrs for R+I trans, and .3hrs for clutch replacement. So customer pay your looking at ~5-6hrs labor. Standard Ford shop rate is about 95-97$ an hour. I cant tell you what an independent shop will charge, but it will be close. So figure 500$ in labor plus parts..
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Wow thank for all your detailed knowledge WhiteFoxGT! Thats kinda what I figured guess I'm gonna have to ride on the squeeky thing for a while longer
Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Its the TOB...

Jazzer, if it were bearings in the trans, why would they be noisey at idle, when the car is stationary? The trans only spins when the tires are spinning
Actually, some of the internals of trans are spinning while the trans is in neutral because the input shaft is engaged.

I began to second guess myself upon reading the chirping mentioned, but didn't see that post untill after my own. When my bearings were going out, it was a sort of grinding sound and was ultimately diagnosed by my tuner on the dyno. He was able to hear it from under the car under heavy load. I decided to make lemonaid and install a T-56 #1260, as I always hated the HUGE gap between 4th~5th gears and low 1st gear. I have a sticky in this section.

Jazzer
Old 08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Ok well thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the issue but for some reason for the first time ever today when I got into my car the needle just stayed buried at 0. When I started to drive it never moved, finally after about 5 minutes it started jumping around. Than I stopped and it literally jumped up too 100mph while I was in neutral!! The car seamed to idle a lil strange but not too out of the normal, anyone have a quick suggestion on what in the world is probably happening now? guhh
Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sounds like an electrical issue as this is how the speedo is moved. As to why... I have no idea, sorry
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Well thanks for the quick reply Jazzer, my car has been perfect since I've had her now all this happening at once
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 AM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

It's still doing it today, it seams strange cuz I have no other electrical problems with the car and none of the other guages move, and it happened right around same time as this t/o bearing deal escalated it seams. These are linked in any ways or the tranny possibly?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The chirping sounds like TOB as stated above since it goes away when you push in the clutch. I have the same problem with my aftermarket one FTL. The speedo being funky and bouncing around looks like a speed sensor issue or maybe the connector/wiring to it.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScorpiuS
Ya thats exactly what mine sounds like real chirping like noise seams like its just got progressively louder its so annoying, I don't even have to barely touch the clutch and it will go silent. Like sometimes when I'm at a drive thru or something I'm embarrassed by it and touch the clutch a lil to silence the damned thing!
HAHAHA I did the same thing when mine TOB was going out. Mine when out right after I bought my car. I drove it for about 6 months before i finally replaced it. I bought the ford racing clutch kit and it came with everything including the pilot and TO bearings. If you can deal with the annoying sound, you should be able to drive it for awhile. I would advise that you get it fixed as soon as you can afford to. It will save some sanity. Good luck though!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

You're clutch will go out soon. On easter I was cruzzin, heard the noise and smoke came out behind the motor by the transmission and I was like wtf! My clutch went out, literally out of the blue. I heard the noise for a while as well but didn't know what it was and all of a sudden my clutch gave out. Took her home going from 1st-3rd-5th gear..lol
I suggest you don't run your card hard whatsoever. If your on a tight budget ...

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing going bad?