4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sticking gas pedal problem

Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Sticking gas pedal problem

Hey guys,

For about two days now my gas pedal has been sorta sticking requiring a bit more effort to start opening the throttle. I recently put on a used (but clean) accufab TB so I don't think it's gunking up. I also removed that plastic rod thing in the return spring on the TB thinking maybe it catches the coils and messes it up but that doesn't seem like the problem either.

The weird thing is it only happens when the engine is running and not when I am pushing down on the gas pedal with the car off.

It's not really a huge problem but it is annoying when I get of from 1st seeing that I gotta put in extra effort to push down the pedal and then it will suddenly go down and I end up giving it more gas than I want to...

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

My mom's taurus did this too. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. GL with finding the culprit let us know what it was.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The vacuum of the running engine is causing the throttle plate to bind-up in the closed position, because the throttle stop screw is not set correctly.

You need to follow this procdure to get it back to the proper setting...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-13-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The vaccum of the running engine is causing the throttle plate to bind-up in the closed position, because the throttle stop screw is not set correctly.

You need to follow this procdure to get it back to the proper setting...
Even though the car idled fine when I first put it on and always did?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 AM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
yes.,,
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, again. Idle is not controlled by the throttle body set screw. It's controlled by the computer. Screw in the stop screw on the throttle body about 1/16 of a turn to open up the butterfly valve and the sticking should go away.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yes.

Machines do that, for example our dishwasher worked great Monday evening, and pissed all over the floor last night...

Getting back to the sticking throttle,
  • The setting might have been borderline too tight, and wear in the bellcrank tab or stop screw have provoked the situation;
  • The lock nut may not have been clamped sufficiently and the screw backed out slightly;
  • The bellcrank tab may have never been making close contact with the stop screw and wear/stretch in the throttle cable has now allowed it to bottom out;
  • A slight carbon build-up might now be causing the throttle plate to bind;
I am certain there are other reasons why, those are just the ones that immediately came to mind.

-----------------------------------
"The last time you ran any machine may well be the last time it ran."
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

i was having this problem and just tried this today, and it fixed the problem it should fix yours too.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks guys. I tried this last night (turned it about 1/8th of a turn) and disconnected the battery for 5 minutes then went to bed. Today I noticed the idle to be a slight bit higher for the first while then the idle went back to before. After, I noticed that the RPM's would hang at like 1100 for a good 4-5 seconds and then suddenly go back down to 750ish.

On my way back home I think that went away too and everything went back to normal.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Ok thanks guys. I tried this last night (turned it about 1/8th of a turn) and disconnected the battery for 5 minutes then went to bed. Today I noticed the idle to be a slight bit higher for the first while then the idle went back to before. After, I noticed that the RPM's would hang at like 1100 for a good 4-5 seconds and then suddenly go back down to 750ish.

On my way back home I think that went away too and everything went back to normal.
The KAM (Keep Alive Memory) is cleared when the battery is disconnected for 5-7 minutes or more. The KAM stores all learned values like long term fuel trims, and idle air trim, which have to be relearned. The idle air trim will continue to be refined during the next few drive cycles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sticking gas pedal problem