Car not shifting into any gear...
Ok so I come to North Carolina to visit my buddy in the Marines...
We are driving his car, I drive the car, he drives the car, he races an S197 Mustang GT (it seems like on/around base everyone has some sports car), and then he goes for a second run....He tries to shift the car from 5th to 3rd, but it's locked out of gear. We pull the car over and start troubleshooting. To limp the car back, we just put it in third (while turned off) and drove it like that. When the car is running it will not go into any gear. When car is turn off, you can put it in the gear and then drive like that.
Ok some things I've noticed about the car:
- Has Pro 5.0 shifter, with a different handle (bolts are a little loose)
- The ciggarette lighter is hard wired, instead of the little clip that slides on. I'm guessing there was a nitrous switch there before.
- Not sure of the trans type either. I look inside the door frame and the sticker is gone.
- When I drove the car the clutch only moved about an inch and never really felt engaged or disengaged. The pedal would only move about and inch and was hard to tell when it caught or not. Kind of weird...
- As soon as this happened the throwout bearing got suddenly a lot louder.
I think that's about it. What could the problem be? Spring on clutch disc popped out? Clutch arm slid off the stud?
Any help would be great.... We're wanting to tear into it Friday night and get this done before I head back Sunday.
2001 Mustang GT:
- MGW Short Throw Shifter
- O/R H-pipe with Flowmaster 40's
1998 Mustang GT:
- PI Swapped, full bolt-ons, tuned.
- SOLD! April 2008.