4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 Saleen WONT START - Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
srwny

Default 2001 Saleen WONT START - Please HELP

Hi,
I need desperate help. My #67 will not start. I just bought a new battery and when I turn the key all I get is a series of rapid clicking. There is no cranking. Funny thing - after I release the key from turning it, the dash goes black and "theft" is the only light that goes on.

It ran great tues but on wed morning....it wouldnt start.

The summer is almost over and I would appreciate any help.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

replace starter!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Odd that the theft light was all that was lit,...but yes, i'd go with starter for sure.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM
srwny

Thanks for all the help. Can you tell me where that it located and is it hard to self-install?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by srwny
Thanks for all the help. Can you tell me where that it located and is it hard to self-install?
i wanna say on the driver bottom side of the engine if you got a floor jack and some stands it should be a very easy job its like2 or 3 bolts holding it in and then theres a hot wire for the power for the starter.maybe a hour at the most! also disconnect the battery and wait for like 5-10 mins before working on the car
Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

under the car where the trans and motor bolt together on the right side 3 bolts top bolt can be aggravating (spelling) to get out then u got 2 nuts on the back of the starter that hold the wires on the back dont over tighten them just snug them up also disconnect the battery i think that about covers it. the job isnt that bad with air tools but i havent done it without air tools so i cant tell you how hard it can be but its not that bad takes me about 30 min to do one start to finish and thats jacking the car up. P.S. take the top bolt out first, then the middle, then the bottom
Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 AM
srwny

awesome...............
question: would a bad starter cause the dash to go black after I release the key (and not start)....it lights up fine at first but after I turn the key, hear the rapid clicking, the dash pretty much goes black when I let the key go back to rest position.

this is so aggrevating.....
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Ya, sounds like coil could be shorted in the starter, drawing max amounts of current when you try to start it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
srwny

Thanks alot for all your help......
- after I bought another floor jack (diesel one) and crawled under....tapped the starter a few times and did some other problem solving stuff. A good friend checked the terminal that I already wire brushed and took it apart and cleaned the positive wire that went into the terminal hook-up and it started right up. Unbelievable, i exchanged a perfectly good battery and bought a new one....wasted $80.

But again....love this site and appreciate all the help from everyone.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

fyi the start is a pita to get to since it faces the front of the motor use alot of extensions and go from the very front of the car is what i found out what worked best.

Quick Reply: 2001 Saleen WONT START - Please HELP