Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
mo_mustang

Vehicle: 1990 mustang
Default replacing lifters / lash adjusters.

i need some help, ive never worked on one of these 4.6 and i have a lifter that needs replaced on the passenger side , how hard are they to replace? do i need to remove the cam?

can some one give me a step by step or point me to a similar post.

thanks ,
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
BOSTANG
2nd Gear Member

No. you do have to loosen up the cam. But not all the way. Just enough to pull the lifter out. Make sure you do the whole side. Retrq. the cam bolts back down to 90 inch pd. You will need new valve cover gaskets also.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
ezking
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT

I would take advantage of the situation, and replace the timing chains while ur down there, it will b a decent amount of tear down but I think it will make life easier in the end, as far as the cams go.

Your rockers n tappets aren't actually bolted to anything, so they are extremely easy to replace. Make sure u r torqd to spec as stated on the cams, and that ur timing marks line up. Also do not let ur cam spin uncontrolled, its enough to mushroom valves, and make sure ALL moving parts are heavily lubed.

The pi write up in my sig is a how to, have fun =)
ezking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
mo_mustang

Vehicle: 1990 mustang

ok thanks guys,
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang Gt 5 speed

Why do you have to loosen the cam? I changed the lash adjusters on my 4.0 without loosening the cam, i used that funny looking spring compressor tool, but it worked. Is it set up differently?
BBK Fenderwell, Trickflow 75mm Plenum, Summit 75mm TB, Steeda Triax, King Cobra Clutch, FRPP Flywheel, Steeda Cable Adjuster/Quadrant, SLP catted X-pipe, SLP LM1 exhaust, Sniper SF Tuning, Weld in Full Length SFCs, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Carbon Clutch Discs.

**COP Sticky**

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT View Post
Picture the search button as a clitoris...it opens doors that will satisfy your wildest dreams.
devongarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, 46, adjuster, adjusters, engine, ford, gt, lash, lifter, lifters, mustang, photo, replace, replacing, tech, v8