4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help!!! 3 DTC Codes

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM
sikblckpny

Default Need help!!! 3 DTC Codes

Well the car is a auto 03 GT with an intercooled vortech with full bolt ons...

so i was accelerating onto the freeway today and once the car hit about 70 it just fell flat on its face and it seemed as if i completely lost power at the same time my check engine light pops up but car still ran fine as long as i didnt give it to much gas... i was able to drive the car home about another 7 miles but my a/f was all over the place after that happened.... I checked the codes with my xcal and these are the three that came up

P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit
P0174 - System Too Lean
P1131 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank 1

Need help on where should i start???

Last edited by sikblckpny; 08-17-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You probably popped the FRP sensor (your p0190 code)

I hear its common for boosted cars to blow these. Some guys even ride around with an extra one in the car just in case
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 AM
sikblckpny

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
You probably popped the FRP sensor (your p0190 code)

I hear its common for boosted cars to blow these. Some guys even ride around with an extra one in the car just in case
Thanks!

Anybody know where i could find a new FRP sensor? And would that be the reason for the two other codes?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

could see the fpr failing and possibly a O2 failing as a result or vice versa. replace the fpr and clear the codes, if the other two come back, start checking upstream O2's (driver side is bank 1)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Fuel Rail Pressor Sensure is about 80 bucks last time I called ford. It sounds like a rip off. On the above post 02s rarley ever fail . Those things are designed for ultimate abuse. Like dude said swap out FRPS and see what it does.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
sikblckpny

well i took a look under the car last night to make sure no wires to the 02's were getting fried... i found a wire that connect the 02 to my wideband has a small burn in it from touching my mid pipe, though it looks as if it only burnt the protective layer and it hadn’t gotten to the actual wiring yet…. Maybe this was the reason for the other 2 codes?

But anyway I disconnected the battery for about 15 mins to reset it, and drove the car to work this morning (about 10 miles) and everything seemed fine, no check engine lights and the car wasn’t leaning out, however my a/f was still all over the place so i did not go wot to see if it was actually ok….
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The FRP and 02s are not connected in a way that one will cause the other to fail. Secure the wire that you said was burnt, however those 2 lean codes are caused by the pressure switch most likely takin a crap on you. When the 02s throw lean/rich codes it doesnt mean the 02s are faulty, they are just doing their job.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
sikblckpny

i see.... well im going to pick up a FRP from ford later today and switch it out.. hopefully this fixes the problems... I'll let you guys know

Thanks for the help
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
sikblckpny

Well i swapped out the FRPS and the car is still doing the same thing, except its not throwing anymore codes

The cars just falls flat on its face and leans out right after i get out of vacuum before hitting boost....

What could it be???
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well, now that my shot from the hip didnt work out for ya, I'd say check the MAF sensor for contaminants/damage, try cleaning it.

Theres only so much I can do from behind a computer screen and given the information at hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help!!! 3 DTC Codes