4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

COP fuel pump what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Default COP fuel pump what?

Today I start up my mustang and it didn't start, so i bump started it and ran fine. Drove it, shut it off and it started fine. Drove it again, started again, then began to run on what seemed like 7 cylinders, then seemed to just die off until it wouldn't start again, and that is where it sits no, cranks fine, does not start though, no smell of unburnt fuel smell coming from it. If it is the fuel pump, how difficult is this to replace?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Sure sounds like a fuel pump to me.
See if theres any presure in the check valve on fuel rail (cover it with a rag just incase there is presure to avoid spray in eyes) if theres no presure i would say its fuel pump related.

Also check fuel pump fuse just to see if its blown.

Did you have any check engine lights come on?

Usaly COPs will leave code (but not always)

Good Luck

Ps..I think fuel pump is in gas tank, not to hard if you dont have a full tank.
Half or lower is better.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

its pretty easy me and my buddy just did his bullitt fuel pump about 3 weeks ago you will have to just have to replace the whole fuel hat and you will need a quick disconnect fuel line kit from a ford dealer the one from autozone didnt work
Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hot sauce
its pretty easy me and my buddy just did his bullitt fuel pump about 3 weeks ago you will have to just have to replace the whole fuel hat and you will need a quick disconnect fuel line kit from a ford dealer the one from autozone didnt work

^^????

You dont have to replace the fuel hat... All you have to do is remove it and replace the pump itself.
The fuel line disconnect tool from autozone/napa/whatever should work. Just takes some time to get it in there right. The plastic disconnect tools do suck though.Get the metal scissor like disconnect tool and all will be good.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Sure sounds like a fuel pump to me.
See if theres any presure in the check valve on fuel rail (cover it with a rag just incase there is presure to avoid spray in eyes) if theres no presure i would say its fuel pump related.

Also check fuel pump fuse just to see if its blown.

Did you have any check engine lights come on?

Usaly COPs will leave code (but not always)

Good Luck

Ps..I think fuel pump is in gas tank, not to hard if you dont have a full tank.
Half or lower is better.
No CEL, i'll see if it is the fuel pump for sure tomorrow, the fuse is good too.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 AM
highpsi04
Banned

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
^^????

You dont have to replace the fuel hat... All you have to do is remove it and replace the pump itself.
The fuel line disconnect tool from autozone/napa/whatever should work. Just takes some time to get it in there right. The plastic disconnect tools do suck though.Get the metal scissor like disconnect tool and all will be good.
I hate the scissor ones, the plastic ones work everytime.

If you put yourear to the tank and have someone turn the key on you hear the pump kick on if its working.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
^^????

we went to bill utter ford and told them we needed a fuel pump for a 2001 bullitt and they gave us the whole fuel hat which is just a plug and play type deal much easier and the disconnect kit didnt work from autozone maybe we got bad luck or something
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

just called ford, OEM part.....$478...focus pump is 170.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Donnie's GTS
just called ford, OEM part.....$478...focus pump is 170.
thats alot! my buddy can get them for 250 and is the focus pump and svt focus pump the samething?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

svt pump is what i meant, lethal performance carries them, so i think im gonna go that route.

Quick Reply: COP fuel pump what?