4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pi Swap Supporting mods/prep.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

Default Pi Swap Supporting mods/prep.

I am picking up the Heads, Cams, Intake Manifold, Valve Covers locally for $300. These are off of a low mileage car as well.

First things first.
Does any one sell something like a swap "kit" that will contain all of the odds and ends like gaskets and heater?

Aluminum crossover. I haven't actually seen the manifold but it is from a '00 car. What am I going to need to do to accommodate the 2 ECT sensors. What can I do if the cross over isn't aluminum?

Other supporting mods:

I plan on rebuilding the heads over the winter. With this kit.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/patrio...t-9904-2v.html

Adding the Comp Stage 2 XE270AH

3.55 gears

Tuner?

Basically I want to do this right. Not just hurry up and throw the PI stuff on there and call it good.

Tentative Schedule:
LT Headers and O/R H-pipe (this week)
Winter(rebuild heads put, cams in heads)
Tuner
3.55 Gears
PI Swap

Anything I forgot? Any suggestions? All welcome

Thanks,
Riggs
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

As you said, first things first. There are many supporting kits for the PI Swap. I picked up a complete kit (Heads [assembled], Intake, Gaskets, Hardware) from a place called Parkway Performance in Georgia. Wouldn't hurt to call their 1-800 number and see if they have anything to help you out.

Secondly, if the crossover isn't aluminum (Which it should be) scrap it and obtain Alum.

Your schedule seems a bit out of whack, in my opinion..
Using your criteria, I would plan in this sequence:
Rebuild Heads
LT's
PI Swap
Gears
Tune
Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

I just had my buddy look at his intake and it has an aluminum crossover.

I want to do the LT's and H-pipe before it gets cold out, I will also have access to an engine hoist so I don't think the LT's will be a huge problem. I'll also have access to about 3 pairs of hands for the LT install.

My I would really like to do the Gears before the cams because you are suppose to use at least 3.55 gears with the Comp Stage II's. I figured get the tuner first so I can correct for the gears and then later get it tuned for the mods.

-Riggs
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

Well, then my question is.. Will the car be off the road until these mods are done as a project, or will there be downtime in between where the car is driven?

If the car will be off the road until all mods are finished, does it really matter what order?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

No the car is my daily driver at the moment. I basically have to split up the projects into weekends. The swap will have more time alloted to it though.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, fair enough. Then you'd be correct in your organization, as it best suits your schedule.
Still, I would really highly suggest simply Googling "PI Swap kit" and seeing what you come up with. Also, looking into Parkway wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

you should get 4.1's in stead of 3.55's
"dont fear the gear" someone said around here, i trusted them and i'm so glad i did. 4.10's are awesome if you dont plan on F/I or a large shot of NOS. Highway isn't hurt that much as you think, i still get 25mpg highway and 20-21 city when i'm nice to the go pedal
Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

I did a little bit of googleing for a pi swap kit, and didn't find anything right away. The results are for full kits including heads, cams, and intake. I'll have to do some looking around.

@stangalator:

What is your highway speed. Around here I go around 80-85 (almost everyone does since the limit is 75). I would think that 4.10s would drop the mileage more that 1MPG. I don't plan on doing any power adders in the near future, maybe when I'm out of college. I don't want to turn this thread into a gears argument because I've read many threads on that. I do quite a bit of highway driving so I'm not sure I want to go all the way up to 4.10s. May have to do some more research.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

Parkway's kit comes with the following

4.6L PI Cylinder Heads (complete) X
PI Intake Manifold (with aluminum water crossover passage) X
Intake Gaskets
Thermostat and O-Ring
Thermostat Housing Bolts
Heater Hose (for the different runner length of the PI Intake)
Heater Hose Nipple
Alternator Bracket and Bolts
Dipstick Tube
Camshaft Bolts
Head Gaskets
Exhaust Gaskets
Valve Cover Gaskets
Timing Cover Gaskets
Water Pump Gasket
OEM Ford Head Bolts
Motorcraft Spark Plugs X

Looks like there's a lot more stuff there than I originally thought. I guess I haven't really looked all that hard but why is the water pump gasket required for the swap? or the alternator bracket and bolts. Not exactly sure about a dipstick tube either.

-Riggs
..Double Post FTW :P
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

according to http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

you will be at 2876rpm at 80mph with 4.10's vs 2023 with 3.55's

i should have said that before my gears, with my 2.73's i was getting 28-29mpg. I hyper mile very well.

im just trying to help, i know that most the time only people with an aggressive supercharger or F/I get 3.55's. with a smaller F/I others get the 3.73's.

since you are a highway person then you should look into the 3.73's as a middle ground

Quick Reply: Pi Swap Supporting mods/prep.