4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coilover help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Default Coilover help...

well, installed Qa1 K member, MMR A Arms and MMr Coilovers tonight, Everything went GREAT!! Until We mounted the tires and the rim is rubbing the Coilover...... Its late.. giving up on it tonight. I have a 17x9 03 cobra wheel with 275's on the front. tire isnt rubbing its the Rim itself..

Do I just need wheel spacers? If sooo how much do i need to go, The Wheel is BARLEY rubbing I dont want a mexican car with the wheels stick far out..

Definitely never heard of anyone running into this problem..

Thanks

Ryan...

PS Looks pretty bad *** if it were drivable lol....
Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

I had the same issue with my 17x9 wheels in the front. I used a 1/4 inch spacer. Everything looks normal. no scrapping.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.698GT
I had the same issue with my 17x9 wheels in the front. I used a 1/4 inch spacer. Everything looks normal. no scrapping.
Cool, Thanks.. I am going to start calling the performance shops in 3 mins when they open at 8.. I Kinda need those today lol... I read somewhere else that the K member kits move the wheel 1" Forward.. Thats why it does this?

O well. I have all the pics on my computer, Once the spacers are in and Everything is working good i will make a new thread with the install pics...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Does the wheel rub once the car is back on the ground?

I can see it rubbing, or being very close, while it is still up in the air, but should be farther away once on the ground. I would be a bit weary of installing any kind of spacer due to a 275 tire. I would expect some rubbing so will very likely need to roll your fenders for clearance.

Jazzer
Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Here are the pics.

Yes Jazzer. We Put the car down I was going to get on the Drive on lift to tighten everything then get the Alignment. it was definitely rubbing... The First pic if of the side that was rubbing, i didnt hear it rub on the driverside.

What is all involved with rolling the fenders? I know they do it to Drag cars to fit the bigger tires in.. (a quick google can answer my question lol)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

yea i didnt read you are running a 275 tire. I am only running a 245 tire. thats about how close mine was. mine only rubbed when i turned the wheel about a 1 turn or 1 1/2 turn each way.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

That is a VERY small amount, looks to me. Have you looked into possibly "shifting" the strut away a bit? You could get creative and oval the holes a bit and push it away from the wheel to gain clearance. Wouldn't be difficult, but would have to remove the strut(s) again.

Rolling the fenders involves bending the inside edge away from the tire so you don't rub. There is a "tab" in the front side (9:00 & 3:00 positions) that will probably be the worst offender. DRIVE SLOW untill you confirm you don't rub as the wheels are probably a bit farther outward with the new "K".

Jazzer

EDIT: Maybe you could lower the car a bit more so the wheel bead is "inbetween" the coils
Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
That is a VERY small amount, looks to me. Have you looked into possibly "shifting" the strut away a bit? You could get creative and oval the holes a bit and push it away from the wheel to gain clearance. Wouldn't be difficult, but would have to remove the strut(s) again.

Rolling the fenders involves bending the inside edge away from the tire so you don't rub. There is a "tab" in the front side (9:00 & 3:00 positions) that will probably be the worst offender. DRIVE SLOW untill you confirm you don't rub as the wheels are probably a bit farther outward with the new "K".

Jazzer

EDIT: Maybe you could lower the car a bit more so the wheel bead is "inbetween" the coils
Thanks for the Ideas. I have to pick up my brakes today from the Speed shop so I am also getting a 5/16 Wheel Spacer and a 7/16 Wheel Spacer. Will try the 5/16 one first, if works fine will go on a test drive (SLOWLY) to see if i get any rubbing. Then we will throw it on the alignment rack... With these two Spacers being small im still going to have lug room correct? or will I have to buy bigger studs?

Trying to get everything situated, We wont start working on the car until 7 when friends shop is closed. And the speed shop closes at 5.. Autozone/Advanced doesnt carry much instock.

Either way im sure by tonight i will be good and driving my car again... I wonder how low i can go with the coils...... My X already used to DRAG on Speed bumps.. Now i am going to have to completely avoid speedbumps/ big dips into businesses...

I cant wait to drive it. The Ball Joins on the Stock A arms were just LIMP.. flopping everywhere!! Same with the Rack and Pinion, Just Flopping around. There is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more room with a Tubular K!!!

Last edited by Ryan86272; 09-04-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

You will enjoy the new found ride. I think the coilovers actually ride better comfort wise then the original coil spring set up. That 5/16 spacer should give you adequate clearance. also make sure you can go lock to lock without hitting the springs or anything like that.
you should not need longer studs on your also.

which struts are those?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What's teh offset on your rims? if the rim is rubbing a spacer is the most cost effective solution. The best one is to get replacement rims with a different offest.

I've never been a fan of spacers as they stress the axle and bearing more since the load is pushed further from the fulcrum and acts as a lever.

Quick Reply: Coilover help...