4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trying to save people some confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Default Trying to save people some confusion

Ok, my 98 GT is seeping oil from all 4 top bolts on each of my valve covers. The oil is coming out from around the plastic seals that are around the bolts that hold the valve covers onto the block. I was told on the forums that this is a common problem and an easy fix so I went looking for the parts. Everybody I talked to said the part I need to replace are called "valve cover grommets", the internet even called them that and so did Ford. So I went to advance auto parts, had someone come out to my car and look at what I was talking about and he also said they were valve cover grommets. Problem solved, right? I got them yesterday, unbolted the old ones from the valve cover and realized there was no way they were going to fit. So I did a little research on the web and found out the parts I really need are called "valve stem seals". Valve cover grommets actually go inside of the valve cover by the gasket. Some gaskets even come with the grommets already attached. So if you start leaking oil from on top of your valve cover by the bolts, you need valve stem seals, not valve cover grommets. I have attached pictures of both so you know what and what not to get. The first picture are the grommets and they are about 3/4" in diameter and about 1/4" deep. The second picture are the seals and they are about 1" in diameter and about 1" deep.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to save people some confusion-grommets.jpg   Trying to save people some confusion-valve-stem-seals.jpg  

Last edited by huey_33; 09-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:32 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

If I had a dealer that confused valve stem seals for valve cover grommets/seals, than I'd be buying them from somewhere else.

It's a good lesson though.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I had the same problem..went to ford and they knew exactly what I was talking about confirmed by a picture on the diagram we were looking at. Stick with the dealer they may be a step up for the Advanced guys.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Whats sad is when I went to the Ford dealer in town they also called them grommets. So I had to do the research on my own since theres only one Ford dealer in town. Everybody calls them grommets.

Last edited by huey_33; 09-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

We are aware that a valvestem seal is the oil seal on your exhaust and intake valves right?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
We are aware that a valvestem seal is the oil seal on your exhaust and intake valves right?
i don't think they are. the grommets are what you press into the valve cover.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Look at the pics. The rubber pieces the arrows are pointing to are "valve stem seals". If you need to replace these people will try to tell you they are "valve cover grommets." So when you order the pieces tell them they are valve stem seals. Everybody says they are the grommets but they are not so you will get the wrong part.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to save people some confusion-dsc01723.jpg   Trying to save people some confusion-dsc01726.jpg  

Last edited by huey_33; 09-07-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
Look at the pics. The rubber pieces the arrows are pointing to are "valve stem seals". If you need to replace these people will try to tell you they are "valve cover grommets." So when you order the pieces tell them they are valve stem seals. Everybody says they are the grommets but they are not so you will get the wrong part.
Sorry, those would be valve cover grommets. Valve stem seals are what dimebag said, oil seals for your valve stems.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

ok, anyways, maybe im wrong, maybe im not. But when I ordered valve cover grommets they were the wrong part. When I ordered valve stem seals, they look exactly like the part I am looking for. Same shape and same size.

Last edited by huey_33; 09-08-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Then someone ****ed up, or is stupid...

And I work at a machine shop, I mess with "valve stem seals" everyday.

Not trying to be a dick, but your giving wrong info out. Unfortuanitly ur parts guy is ****in retarded, so its not your fault

Quick Reply: Trying to save people some confusion