4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Wanna keep the 410's but..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avexhype
LMAO 4.10's...

man, almost all the people who say use 4.10s with ANY blower on a daily driven street car have no actual experience what-so-ever in testing and trying things out. They are just repeating "here-say" and are NA bolt-on (no offense to anyone) which actually for that set up, 4.10's are actually USEFUL and an appropriate gear.

On an S/C set up-If its a more track oriented set up, with suspension to make the car hook AND a tall tire THEN 4.10's would be ok... Its deffinetly not for everybody!!! Hell, its not for most people since more than half of these set ups are DD street cars with occasional to very little track play. And most will have stock shortblocks too so they cant be revving it to the moon (6800 rpm+) without seriously risking blowing up their motors which is what you would HAVE to do with 4.10's in the 1/4 and even a highway race (you aint going past 110ish at 6k rpm, WHICH SUCKS ***!!)

3.73's IMO the best suited gear for someone who has a DD with decent tires (eg: nitto 555s), few suspension bolt-ons, and a centri set up. This is a gear if you want good low end TQ without completely blowing off the tires at WOT. You will have a decent top end mph that you can use at the track without having to worry too much about running out of gear at the end of the 1/4 (abour 125ish or so).

Also i didnt state anything with the gas mileage difference between the two gears because when you fully bolt on + have a S/C, thats not really something you should be paying attention to too much.

In my case, even 3.73's were too much... YES!!! I SAID TOO MUCH!! i had a hard time catching traction in the lower gears....guys thats not fun when your trying to win races and keep straight on the road. Image 4.10 gears... hell no man. So i through on drag radials and backed down to 3.55 gears.... IMHO thats the BEST DAMN SETUP you can have for a street car. And if you build your motor later on and up the boost so your near 500 rwhp, youll thank yourself for having a gear that can easily take you 130+ and youll automatically have great low-end seeing that you built you s/c set up right (pully it to the max so boost comes on quickly, get appropriate cams, and bolts on that will net increased low end tq eg: lt's) But hey like the 4.10 guys, this might not be for everyone either, i just like whats PRACTICAL and useful in my set up (425 rwhp, bolt ons and NO lt's)

3.55's FTMFW!!!

(my post was entirely concerning the OP chooses a centri setup, if your going to run a roots or twinscrew your *** BETTER stick with 3.55's or lower unless your car is track oriented)

Thankyou very much sir, i'll be going FRPP 3.55's if I can manage to get a KB on by this winter.

It gets more and more frustrating to see silly bolt-on kids run around yelling "OMG 4.10S LULZ!!!! IT GOEZ F4ST!" every-single-godamn-day to people when they have no concept of real power/traction issues. And to top it all off as soon as somebody suggests differently they have the nerve to flame you. I'll see you at 130MPH......oh wait......

Last edited by Hangwire; 09-13-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

4.56 all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk, i have 4.10s with a few bolt ons and trying to do roll races are fun and all untill 5th gear comes along and the race is basically over, I however like to attend auto x and such so as of right now the 4.10s work but im sure ill need to drop it down to 3.73 so i can stay in 2nd most of the time.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure who says 4:10s all the way with a blower, they are great for bolt ons to compensate for the lack of power. Most people I hear promote them are referring to a bolt on car. 373 or 355 for blown car depending on power.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I have 4.10s w/ my bolt on (and for what it is, 4.10s are an awesome gear, but yes I do top out in 4th a little too quick)...I also plan on S/C the Stang in the near future. So what you guys are saying that my 4.10s are going to be too much... but how MUCH of a difference is it going to be for me if I take the time and money to take my 4.10s out and say, replace them with 3.55's?

I plan on wider tires in the rear * eventually*, as well as suspension mods, but do I need to really look into replacing my gears? (yes my car is a DD, with a interest in some drag racin after the SC is installed)
Old 09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

i'm @ 13psi right now with 3.73's and would be pretty sketchy on jumping to 4.10's
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

HANGWIRE: LOLLLL man you couldnt have said it better...

Originally Posted by 0949er
I have 4.10s w/ my bolt on (and for what it is, 4.10s are an awesome gear, but yes I do top out in 4th a little too quick)...I also plan on S/C the Stang in the near future. So what you guys are saying that my 4.10s are going to be too much... but how MUCH of a difference is it going to be for me if I take the time and money to take my 4.10s out and say, replace them with 3.55's?

I plan on wider tires in the rear * eventually*, as well as suspension mods, but do I need to really look into replacing my gears? (yes my car is a DD, with a interest in some drag racin after the SC is installed)
i hear ya man. to help you make a decision think of it this way: 4th gear runs out pretty fast right now huh? well with the 400 rwhp youll have with the blower your going to get there MUCH quicker. its not fun running out of gear that fast, when you try and race people youll be having to shut down just when the race is getting good. at the track your either going to HAVE to (be forced) to invest in dedicated wheels to mount slicks on, upgrade suspension peices to make USE of those slicks, UPGRADE your rear end (to be safe to launch hard repeatedly), and pray your motor holds revving past 6000 rpm to just clear the 1/4. All that is alot of money to spend to keep 4.10's in the long run. I say its best just to step down to 3.73's at least (3.55s better if you can do it)

when we say "too much" we typically refer to topping out quick as hell and on a street car having a HORRIBLE time catching traction. in most people experience anyway.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

heres MY example of how running out of gear sucks JUST when the race is getting good:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...and_209780.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/l...-gt_548405.htm

if i woulda had 4.10's i wouldnt have even bothered getting on the highway
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I have 4.10's. No problems here. Car pulls great at every rpm. And as for losing traction, that's a given with any gear and F/I. On the street I spin easily. But at the track and on Nitto drags, the car hooks great.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Nobody wants to grasp the concept of building the whole car not just the motor tires and gears... Fwiw I'm making similar numbers to most of the bolt on n blower guys, and we know how nitrous is with torque... I have no issues w my 4.10s
Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

neither you nor your car are even human

jk, but ive seen your threads and your set up is perfect for what you use your car for. anything other than a 4.10 wouldnt have let you accomplish what you PERSONALLY already have.

Quick Reply: Wanna keep the 410's but..