4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Wanna keep the 410's but..

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default Wanna keep the 410's but..

Hey guys about to head back to the sandbox next month and once I return gonna get a S/C. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Super Charger /410 gear combo. I was told by a good friend that I would be okay if I went with the Procharger/Vortech because they were both centrifigual powerplants and they didn't produce instant boost. What do you guys think would be my best course of action. Thxs guys I appreciate any info.....
Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

There's actually a thread going on right now in the pipes, boost section about this. I'm running 10 psi with a Vortech right now and don't know what gear to go with either.

I would think 4.10's for up to around 10 psi. I would do the blower then see what it's like before tearing the rear end apart though. How much boost are you planning to run?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Well I can shed some light on this since my last setup was 400 rwhp @ 10 psi with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed with a vortech and it is awesome as it gives you great low end tq and power off the line couple with vortech mid to high-end revs is perfect. In terms of traction on the street I did not really have a problem with my BF KDWs.

With my new setup, next week I will be pushing 450 - 475 rwhp @ 13 psi and 4.10s but with a forge built block and I am keeping my 4.10s

However, if you plan on going to the track you will run out of gear with 4.10s in the 1/4 mile @ 111 mph you will need a drag radial for sure at the track if you go with a taller tire it will give you a few more mph over the 111 for the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

i too have a vortech with 4.10's and on the street 1st-2nd gear blow. nothing but tire spin unless i pedal the throttle but thats with nitto 555 street tires. at the track with a sticky 26" tire they'll be great though, especially with the right suspension.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
There's actually a thread going on right now in the pipes, boost section about this. I'm running 10 psi with a Vortech right now and don't know what gear to go with either.

I would think 4.10's for up to around 10 psi. I would do the blower then see what it's like before tearing the rear end apart though. How much boost are you planning to run?

I was thinking 8-10 psi.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eduardo
i too have a vortech with 4.10's and on the street 1st-2nd gear blow. nothing but tire spin unless i pedal the throttle but thats with nitto 555 street tires. at the track with a sticky 26" tire they'll be great though, especially with the right suspension.
I have the same tires so I'm probably going with 3.73's. Plus I plan on running 16 psi soon.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I was thinking 8-10 psi.
Well you already have gears and 4.10 is a reasonable ratio with a blower so again I wouldn't worry about swapping out your current gears until you see what it's like.

That car is going to sound badass since you already have cams too.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 AM
se8504
1st Gear Member

Besides the S/C that im not too sure of, Be careful over there and show em how its done the American way! - US Marine.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Look at it this way... Pay money to slow it down? Or pay money to make it hook? I'd do suspension and a tire. If you do run out of gear at the track, step up to a taller tire... Or do what I did... Bump the limiter to 6500, shift where u usually would but go ahead and let 4th pull a little higher, I'm trapping 114 and 115 doing this, and I hardly go over redline.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
Look at it this way... Pay money to slow it down? Or pay money to make it hook? I'd do suspension and a tire. If you do run out of gear at the track, step up to a taller tire... Or do what I did... Bump the limiter to 6500, shift where u usually would but go ahead and let 4th pull a little higher, I'm trapping 114 and 115 doing this, and I hardly go over redline.
This is all perfectly fine and good if your setting up a drag car and don't mind hideous tiny rims and fat *** tires, however, for a street car S/C + 4.10s is a HUGE MISTAKE.

Lets put it this way........a certain someone I know that put a KB 2.1L on a 99 GT with 3.27's and 315's had to do absolutely everything he could on the track to prevent the first two gears from not shredding his tires. Thats not fun. So you can take it from drag honks who scream that you should get 4.30's who have no concept of a street car, or you can use a little common sense and think about it. Youl notice that 80% of the people who say 4.10 OMG OMG OMG BEST EVAR have nothing but bolt ons and are making a mild 270 to the wheels. They wouldn't know what traction issues were if it ran across their forehead.

Not to mention how obnoxious riding on the highway at 3,000-3,500 RPM's is, and the effect it has on your gas mileage, though it may be small.

When it comes down to brass tax. If you are building a bonafied drag car 4.10s are the bread and butter. However if you only hit the track maybe twice a year and you daily drive your car and want it to be street friendly, DONT DO IT

I do want to make it clear that this isnt directed at dimebag, as he gave the proper advice for a drag car and he could probably out launch us in a golf cart after a spliff or two.

Last edited by Hangwire; 09-12-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Wanna keep the 410's but..