4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sludge in radiator resevoir

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM
birdman84

Default Sludge in radiator resevoir

So this morning I was taking a little extra time checking everything under the hood after I just bought this '03 gt (should have done this before i bought the car!!) I noticed a brown sludge build up on the walls of the radiator reservoir. Does this mean my head gasket is blown?? I'm really starting to get discouraged with this car as every day I am finding other issues (which sucks b/c cosmetically the car is flawless!!!) A friend of mine told me it may just need a radiator flush and will be fine, but then again he is not familiar with mustangs either.

The car does not overheat at all when driving...if that helps any. If a blown head gasket is a posibility, what's an easy way to check?

other issues: starting problems - seems to be a bad fuel pump; gears whining and sludge buildup around rear diff (guessing needs new gears, pinion, or axle assembly); steering issue ticking noise when turning to the right (lost on that one); suspension sqeaks; alignment problem; and all this after just 5 days of owning the car and I have no money right now to fix any of this ;( Am I beter off just selling the car or am I over analyzing? I don't want to get rid of the car but I don't want to make matters worse b/c I can't afford to fix them now..

Last edited by birdman84; 09-12-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
CopNaStang
1st Gear Member

Just needs a good radiator flush. Most people are not good about flushing and changing fluids, such as, radiator, rear diff, and auto trans, and then wonder why they are putting new ones in. Go have your fluid changed in your rear diff. They are usually cheap to do. $20-25. You will also need to drop by Ford or an auto store and get friction modifier. Have them pour that in as well. Before I started changing all of my own stuff I used to make them let me watch them change the fluid and add the modifier, basically because I dont trust those places. That may take care of your problem, unless the rear was redone or other gears were put in and not shimmed correctly. Ticking while turning is probably another regular maintenance/ replacement issue. Did you get a decent deal? What is your mileage? Certain maintenace seems to pop up all at once at certain mileage, usually from 90-100K? Suspension, brakes, tune up, fluid changes, shocks, suspension bushings-ball joints-etc, and other things just wear out. If its hard to start it may not be a fuel pump. Check your IAC. Some guys just clean them, I suggest replacing them, especially if you have miles on the car. That being said, if you dont have money pull it off and clean it out until you can afford a new one. Easy fix. You can have the car in tip top shape but it will take time and money. Yes, you should check those things before getting excited and buying, but it sounds like regular maintenance issues. Instead of fixing them, alot of people just let the basic maintenance issues build up and trade it in, starting the whole process with another new car.

Last edited by CopNaStang; 09-12-2009 at 10:27 PM.