4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help with whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default Need help with whining noise

This happens when moving and when not moving. Easier to hear and examine when not moving so that's what I'm going to describe.

Shifter in neutral, foot off clutch pedal, I ease into the throttle and along with obvious engine noise there is a whining noise. If I keep the rpms steady, the noise is steady. If it depress the clutch pedal while keeping the rpms at the same place, it fades away (as if something spinning suddenly loses its source of power) and stops completely after a second or so. If I release the clutch pedal it starts back up. If I let off the gas the rpms fall and the whining decreases pitch in synch with the rpms.

It does not make the noise when I'm not in the throttle. That makes me think it's transmission related but isn't the throw out bearing. Also, I've heard a TO bearing squeak before and this is significantly louder than that was.

Ideas? Should I be worried?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

could it be coming from your tranny? does it sound like the transmission noise of a school bus? (sounds like zoidburg from the show futurama).

Syncro noise is my guess
Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

well I can definitely hear the synchros under normal driving (mainly notice them down shifting) but they've never responded to the clutch like that or throttle when it's in neutral (or at least not that I've noticed). Should they?

Last edited by PaintballFreak; 09-13-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 PM
invisableflames
1st Gear Member

I have the same exact noise on my '02 ROUSH. I have had it since i can remember and the car only has like 25,000 miles on it. I bought it with 10,000. I have posted about it before on a few other places and was never able to get an answer. I was figured it was just normal for my tranny.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

well if this can help you by comparison, the only time I EVER hear my syncros are when I try to the put the car in first when its going faster then 5 mph. (and no, I don't EVER down shift into first, but thats when I hear my syncros spin up). And maybe from third to second, if I put it into second slowly like i'm coming up to a red light, I hear them for a split second spinning up.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
well if this can help you by comparison, the only time I EVER hear my syncros are when I try to the put the car in first when its going faster then 5 mph. (and no, I don't EVER down shift into first, but thats when I hear my syncros spin up). And maybe from third to second, if I put it into second slowly like i'm coming up to a red light, I hear them for a split second spinning up.
Yeah I get that same exact noise. BUT if you think about it, when you are downshifting you have the clutch dis-engaged. Whatever this noise is, it seems to be spinning with the engine but only with the clutch engaged. Which isn't to say the synchros don't spin up with the engine regardless of the clutch status BUT it's definitely obvious that it stops when I push the clutch pedal. Again, that makes me think it's not the synchros.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but inherently I'm a worrier and will often make things a bigger deal in my head than they really are. If someone who really knows these transmissions can come tell me this is normal that would be great lol

(Btw 49er, I'm buying BBK LTs and a prochamber today! I decided that if I get just a midpipe for now, I will regret not doing LTs at the same time. I'm excited )
Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
Yeah I get that same exact noise. BUT if you think about it, when you are downshifting you have the clutch dis-engaged. Whatever this noise is, it seems to be spinning with the engine but only with the clutch engaged. Which isn't to say the synchros don't spin up with the engine regardless of the clutch status BUT it's definitely obvious that it stops when I push the clutch pedal. Again, that makes me think it's not the synchros.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but inherently I'm a worrier and will often make things a bigger deal in my head than they really are. If someone who really knows these transmissions can come tell me this is normal that would be great lol

(Btw 49er, I'm buying BBK LTs and a prochamber today! I decided that if I get just a midpipe for now, I will regret not doing LTs at the same time. I'm excited )
nice man. you are going to love it. Where are you going to get your LT's put on at? How much are they charging you?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
nice man. you are going to love it. Where are you going to get your LT's put on at? How much are they charging you?
In my parents driveway. It's fo free lol. That's why I need to know details about the prochamber to BBK fitment. I dont want to have to run open headers to a muffler shop on the weekend in my parents town to try to get it fabbed. I'm seriously considering just grabbing the bbk h pipe instead BUT now I'm reading that it doesn't even fit the bbk headers very well. I may just buy MAC LTs from lethal and be done with it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the input shaft front bearing. mine's always done that a little, I just got used to it. Most people can't even hear it when they are in the car, I guess I'm more tuned in to it.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM
GFGweedo

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
Sounds like the input shaft front bearing. mine's always done that a little, I just got used to it. Most people can't even hear it when they are in the car, I guess I'm more tuned in to it.
Bingo.. Pilot\input or threw out bearing. I doubt it's your syncros. Do you have a stethoscope. Use that, it's like what doctors use. Get the car on a lift and listen for noises. A good ear can help.

Quick Reply: Need help with whining noise