4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Forged? Bored out? How to make power

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Forged? Bored out? How to make power

Say my motor (god forbid) were to ever spin a bearing again... and I wanted to get a boltable bottom end, ONLY the long block. What are my options for the assembly either being BORED, and possibly forged? Anything that will create much more power. Like a 5.0L bored engine? What are my options here? Any sites that offer them? I don't know much about this category, and I'm sure many of you are extremely educated about this area.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

you can build your own on the side like i'm doing, i got a 4.6 teksid block, going to bore it, and forge it, but you only need forged if your running big power, what are you goals, how much are you wanting to build. if your just doing it to make it stronger, thats gunna be over kill, supercharger/turbo/giggle gas, yeah forge it. if you get up over 500hp your looking at replacing almost everything clutch,fuel,suspension etc. get some goals in mind for power if your going that route, if you just want strong, forged is over kill and expensive to just keep it mostly stock.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well, I was looking more into what kind of FORGED kit can I get. Something with JUST pure natural aspiration. No supercharger. I don't want to make it myself. Where can I buy something like this?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

summitracing.com sells rotating assemblies... 4.6 parts are VERY expensive in comparison to other blocks out there. i mostly get all my stuff from americanmuscle.com, summitracing.com, jegs.com, rpmoutlet.com(horrible company),think i'm getting my forged stuff from summit
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

sorry, you'll want to get a forged rotating assembly, if your staying 4.6, the teksid block, can piece it together or buy the whole engine, Ford racing i think has some complete engines like summit does i think.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Forging doesn't make more HP it allows more HP to be applied to the motor.....depending on what forged assembly you get it can actually rob you of power (depends on many factors.)

So boring to a 5.0L and stroking can and will make more HP esp if your wanting to stay N/A.

Here is a decent article for the 4.6L and how boring and stroking can and will make big power.....mind you they are using a iron block (adds weight and it is for the newer 3V 4.6L motors) but the concept is the same.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...re_page_1.html
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Fobra
Banned

There is really no point in doing a teksid block, its just going to cost alot more, w/o much benefit. Boring is equally worthless. Just boost it and get head work
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Boring .020 over from 3.55" to 3.57" (281 to a 283) isn't going to create any significant power. My opinion is that boring should be used just to clean up the cylinder walls. (Boring and sleeving is an entirely different matter.) A forged rotating assembly that has the same specification as stock won't create any more power. If you intend to stay N/A you could increase the compression ratio to get more power.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

If you are staying n/a or small boost set up, an "all forged" kit is not needed. We offer a Econo rotating kit that includes a cast steel crank, forged I beam rods and pistons. This is perfect for 500HP and under set ups.

If the block has some miles on it, it really needs to be bored.

Casey
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Forging doesn't make more HP it allows more HP to be applied to the motor.....depending on what forged assembly you get it can actually rob you of power (depends on many factors.)

So boring to a 5.0L and stroking can and will make more HP esp if your wanting to stay N/A.

Here is a decent article for the 4.6L and how boring and stroking can and will make big power.....mind you they are using a iron block (adds weight and it is for the newer 3V 4.6L motors) but the concept is the same.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...re_page_1.html
+10000 was beginning to wonder when somebody would point this out.

Forging does not add power at all, its simply a different process of making the metal so that its much stronger, thus holds more horsepower safely. Instead of pouring hot metal into a "cast".....Extremely heavy and dense weights are slammed down onto the already cold metal to shape it. There are different forging techniques but no need to get into it.

If you're not running boost or silly sauce you would be wasting your money.

Quick Reply: Forged? Bored out? How to make power