4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to clean TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Default How to clean TB

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the TB, plenum and IAC? The car idles fine and runs fine, but when I am coming to a stop with the clutch in the car idles down to 1000 RPM's them drops to about 800 RPM's when I am at a complete stop. This also happens if I rev the car in nuetral. Weird I know, but thought maybe these parts might need cleaning. Any other thoughts as to why this might be happening?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

That sorta happens to be me too. Say for instance I am driving like 35mph and then push the clutch in and wait a few seconds, it won't ever go down to full idle (like 750rpm's ish)....it stays at like 950 or so and then goes down finally when I completely stop.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
That sorta happens to be me too. Say for instance I am driving like 35mph and then push the clutch in and wait a few seconds, it won't ever go down to full idle (like 750rpm's ish)....it stays at like 950 or so and then goes down finally when I completely stop.
You nailed it. So I guess it is just the nature of the beast?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Ifs its not broke dont try to fix it.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This sounds like the "throttle hang" issue of the Mustang. If this is the same thing as the revs "hanging" between shifts, I had my tuner disable it last a while back. MUCH nicer to drive without the car "deciding" I need to hold rpm's between gears

Jazzer

PS. re-reading.... may not be the same issue
Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What you describe is normal--the PCM keeps the idle around 1k while the car is rolling to make sure there is plenty of p/s fluid pressure for the brake booster. It should drop to nomal within no more than 2-3 seconds of coming to a comple stop.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
What you describe is normal--the PCM keeps the idle around 1k while the car is rolling to make sure there is plenty of p/s fluid pressure for the brake booster. It should drop to nomal within no more than 2-3 seconds of coming to a comple stop.
Ok that sounds logical. But that is exactly what it is doing. Funny, someone said you would most likely pipe in with the reason why it does this.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by scooter3
Ok that sounds logical. But that is exactly what it is doing. Funny, someone said you would most likely pipe in with the reason why it does this.

Thanks.
The back-story is that when they replaced the 5.0L OHV engine with the the 4.6L OHC engines in 1996, the engines were too wide for there to be room left for a vacuum-assist brake booster. The Hydro-boost system costs quite a bit more but it was cheaper than reworking the body to fir a vaccum device in.

By '99 when they redesigned the car they had gotten used to fitting the Hydroboost system and it stayed.

Do the '05+ have Hydroboost or vaccum brakes? I've never even ridden in an '05+...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hey Cliffyk, did you manage to get the code thingy from Sniper to take a look at my tune files?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Hey Cliffyk, did you manage to get the code thingy from Sniper to take a look at my tune files?

Thanks,
Brandon
It's on the "to-do" list, however there have been a "whole bunch" of other things going on of late--not the least of which, that the world may as well know now, is that I will be joining the Delta Force staff, as Director of Product Engineering, later this month.

I have been as pleased (and at times frustrated) as anyone else with their fundamentally solid and well-valued products for nearly 2 years now, and after working closely with Pat and Chris (both 100% dedicated to customer satisfaction) to bring the OBD2DataScout to market we have struck a deal and I will be joining their team. There's a lot of "learning curve" ahead for me, however my primary goal is to address long-standing issues with the existing products and to bring new products to market.

As part of this I hope to build a group of enthusiastic, aggressive, supportive, and above all honest (if it sucks I want to know about it!) users to help us out with fact-finding, alpha and beta testing, etc. so that we can make the best systems we can. There will of course be some sort of participation/non-disclosure agreement.

Being far too old for covert BS I will provide full disclosure of my affiliation in any forum messages where Delta Force/Sniper products are being discussed.

That's all I have to say about that... (my apologies to F. Gump)

Quick Reply: How to clean TB