4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tire blew out? What is this garbage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Tire blew out? What is this garbage?

So I scraped up my car the other day, and I had my insurance claim agent take a look at it today. Some guy that parks near me on campus with his 5.0 Mustang left a note on my car saying that my front left tire looked a little low. I checked it out, and he was right, but there was a nail that I must have run over a few days ago, slowly draining air out. I could see only the head of the nail.

THIS IS WHY MY CAR WAS STEERING TO THE LEFT... it wasn't an alignment issue. So basically I have Eagle F1's all around, and I had to pay 250 dollars for ONE tire today. I originally thought that I might just be able to get the nail pulled out and they can just fix the hole at town fair tire (which they are supposed to do for free) and they did.. I brought my car there, and they pulled the nail out, but they also showed me that the inside wall of my tire was showing silver, and that there was black powder everywhere inside the tire, handfuls of it (powdered rubber) and they said that by law they could not put it back on. Is this correct? Why on earth did this happen? I asked what causes this, and they said that it is usually from doing burnouts. One thing though... I DONT DO BURNOUTS. What is going on here? I am extremely pissed that this happened.

Also, the dumbasses in their shop would not let me go until I bought a tire, or else I would have to pay labor costs. The dumb jackasses revved up my car in the garage too, im pissed off.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

well first its illegal to do what they did to you (in ny anyway) But if ur sidewall was chewed you might have driven on the tire itself, Almost no air in there would cause the rim to ride on the sidewall scraping away the inside.

They were correct in suggesting you replace it but, to force you into it isn't, At my shop we have a waiver form of sorts for situations like this. If the customer wants us to put a tire or whatever on their car that is dangerous we make them fill it out and thats that.

I'm pretty sure its illegal tho, But if you signed a work order or anything showing the purchase your out of luck I would think

Go back there with a cop friend to scare them into doing right by you
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You should read up on Law. Most states prohibit a shop from allowing a car with a known safety issue to be allowed to be driven on the streets or returned to the owner without first repairing the issue. The laws are there to protect the shop and the owner.

What would have happened if they had let him take the car back and then, due to the sidewall being weakened from damage, it blew out? Not only could he have been injured, he could've turned around and sued the shop for negligence.

That's also why most shops won't try to fix a tire with a nail or damage towards teh outer edge of the tread or on the sidewall. Safety and liability.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You should read up on Law. Most states prohibit a shop from allowing a car with a known safety issue to be allowed to be driven on the streets or returned to the owner without first repairing the issue. The laws are there to protect the shop and the owner.

What would have happened if they had let him take the car back and then, due to the sidewall being weakened from damage, it blew out? Not only could he have been injured, he could've turned around and sued the shop for negligence.

That's also why most shops won't try to fix a tire with a nail or damage towards teh outer edge of the tread or on the sidewall. Safety and liability.
+1. He also could have injured someone else besides himself if his tire had blown out. To the OP, why make such a big deal out of having to buy a new tire? Sure it sucks, but you should consider the fact that OBVIOUSLY there was something wrong with the tire more than just a nail in it. You should feel better in the fact that you now have a safer ride. Dont be so selfish and think its all about the shop trying to screw you out of money. Better to have the problem fixed than to have a blowout at 70+ and probably be dead.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ +1 on the above +1 (if I can even do that!)

Sorry to hear about your tire woes, but agree with the outcome of events. You just hit a nail in the wrong way and entered the tire at the sidewall

Just a couple months ago, I was going into my hair stylist and saw her rear tire with some funny looking bulges in the sidewall. I brought it to her attention and she didn't realize the issue till then. I was VERY insistant that she get it addressed THAT afternoon after work. She decided not to until it blew out on the highway two weeks later and she VERY NEARLY crashed! Had the tow truck driver install her spare and got a new tire the following day. I caught up to her on my following appointment and got the story that was a nail to blame.

I was VERY insistant she address the issue and she did not, so be glad that the 5.0 driver gave you the heads up. You owe him a 4-pack of Guinness Stouts as far as I am concerned!

Jazzer
Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

True... but why would the tire get ruined? I just think it's unfair that the tire is ruined just because of a nail.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM
fisher2985
2nd Gear Member

the nail didnt ruin it. u ruined it by running it low on air pressure. see it all the time at work.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Just a couple months ago, I was going into my hair stylist...4-pack of Guinness Stouts as far as I am concerned!

Jazzer
lol, you're a funny cat Jazzer (pun intended)...

I feel for you dude. That's what I was afraid of when I was tire shopping. Since I don't race I really couldn't justify a set of PSs even though they are nice. The thought of having to replace one early was too much for me!

But like everyone else said, at least you didn't get it put back on and blow out on the highway and have to replace both a wheel and a tire (or worse)!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

It can also get ruined by piercing up between the ply's and damaging the structure of the sidewall.

Jazzer
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Pepe The Jazzer's new do..

Jazzer..... stylin'

Quick Reply: Tire blew out? What is this garbage?