4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please help, engine skipping, running out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Klockworc

Default engine skipping under load, recent coolant leak.

I have a 2002 gt with about 80k on it. recently I sprung a coolant leak but had it taken care of. the culprit was a cracked intake manifold, which I had replaced, although before the repair, a decent amount of fluid got into some of the spark plug holes on the driver's side of the engine, before and after the repair, the engine has been having misses under load. it runs fine if you drive it lightly, but under hard acceleration, it skips and doesn't have as much power as it should, no pops or strange noises. the worse is driving in 5th, and giving a decent amount of gas, the car will shutter forward and back.

I had all the spark plugs switched out with new motorcrafts, and changed two of the COPS (coil packs) on cylinders 5 and 6.
fyi,

Rear
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Front

Still the same skipping, could it be the injectors, fuel pump maybe? spark plug wires, (which I doubt)? please, anyone who might have experienced the same thing? any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Klockworc; 10-06-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM
gallipolisbandit

Yea I have an 01 GT with 100k on it and had the same coolant problem. Also had a problem with it skipping. Changed all the spark plugs. That did not help so I then took all the injectors out, and 2 of them were cracked. Replaced all of them and runs like a dream now...hope you get it figured out
Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

there's a good chance that you still have a bad COP, i've learned that sometimes it only takes a little moisture in the plug wells to ruin them
Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

+1 bad cop(s)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

good luck.

that is the EXACT problem that made sell my 99. Intake mani cracked and once I replaced it, I found that my car skipped like it was its job. Bottom line, I had no idea how to fix it so sold the car. That was back when I just was getting into my mustang (and cars). so knowing what I know now I could of fixed it, but back then I had no idea.

look where I am now because of it though
Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Klockworc

Default still looking

I don't think at this point the COPs are the problem, I changed the 2 in the most affected area, (5 and 6), cleaned out all the moisture, and double checked the rest of the COPs.

Does anyone think the plugs could have fouled again due to a small amout of remnent liquid? I'll be checking the wires to see if they are the problem, doubtful...

Someone sugguested it could be AC ripple, due to a bad diode on the Alternator, seeing how some coolant was sprayed onto it during the leak...

Insight?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

How are the rest of the boots on the COPs
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Klockworc

the boots on the rest of the COPs are fine.

Please note that the engine misses are anywhere on the RPM band but only occur under load its just a certain point on the throttle, thresh hold, that I pass when giving it gas does it start to knock around... I think it might be a fuel problem or exaust, something other than electrical. Wouldn't it skip all the time if it were the Cops, plugs, wires, etc?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

it could still be the cop's. mine was doing the same thing. sometimes it ran well sometimes it didnt. mainly under load. a test you can do is have the car running and 1 by 1 pull each cop off and if any of them dont make it run any worse then there is a problem there. also might check fuse #8 it is engine or pcm controls and can cause all kinds of weird problems if it blows.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klockworc
the boots on the rest of the COPs are fine.

Please note that the engine misses are anywhere on the RPM band but only occur under load its just a certain point on the throttle, thresh hold, that I pass when giving it gas does it start to knock around... I think it might be a fuel problem or exaust, something other than electrical. Wouldn't it skip all the time if it were the Cops, plugs, wires, etc?
ignition-related misses are usually most prominent under load especially at lower rpms. get a friend with a mustang and swap coils with him because i'm almost sure that's your problem

Quick Reply: Please help, engine skipping, running out of ideas.