4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car wont run, plz help guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Default Car wont run, plz help guys

Alright out of no where the other day I go to take the off ramp and the engine dies on the mustang, no weird noises no nothing, sputters once and then just dies and wont start. If i let the car sit for an hour or so it will fire once and then makes a bad rattling/clicking sound and spins a couple times and dies. If i try to start it again, I get nothing.

No codes and no check engine light, I have no Idea what the problem is. I get fuel pressure at the rails, and like I side if I let it sit for a while it will fire once, and then it makes a loud clicking noise as the engine spins but doesnt fire again.

I cant figure it out at all, I havent done anything to the car in a long time and havent had any problems for a long time and now all of the sudden this.

Any Ideas? what are the symptoms of a failing fuel pump? or a clogged filter? or dying coil packs? I honestly dont know.

Maybe the timing is off? then something had to fail... Im at a total loss and I need some help seriously bad, any ideas would be appreciated, thx guys.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

well the loud "clicking" doesn't sound like any kind of fuel problem at all.

Does your car have oil in it?

and are we talking about a mechanical "clicking" or are we talking about "my starter doesn't have enough juice to turn over" clicking?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Could be a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Either would cause the car to die instantly. Could have broken a timing chain, or something in the timing system, but I doubt it would try to run at all.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Its a mechanical clicking, yes the car has oil in it o_O

timing is what everything is pointing at, so Im guessing it broke a chain or something, the chains are less then 20k old. Bah bad timing on losing this engine. fwak im totally screwd TT
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ezking
Its a mechanical clicking, yes the car has oil in it o_O

timing is what everything is pointing at, so Im guessing it broke a chain or something, the chains are less then 20k old. Bah bad timing on losing this engine. fwak im totally screwd TT
Hmm 20K on the chains, something might have loosened off somewhere if not put back together properly. If it did slip timing, the valve are fooked.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I would clean your maf sensor. Mine was doing the same thing. The maf sensor had oil on the wire from my air filter. I had cleaned and re oiled my filter the day before.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked your IAC valve? And does it turn over at all?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

ok I checked the IAC, and even tho I cant figure out what the noise was, its not pistons hitting valves. I found a broken vacuum line and replaced it, now the car backfires everytime I try to start it...

any thoughts at all would be appreciated I couldnt help but laugh after I set off all the car alarms in sight, then i just set the alarm n walked home... the laughing didnt last that long TT
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

If the IAC Valve is bad it will cause it to run rough at idle or keep you from starting. If it's backfiring you might want to check plugs, wires, and compression. But I think you might be right about the timing.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Check your crankshaft position sensor. I had a Geo Metro that suddenly came down with symptoms like this. Rattling, back firing, start and die, etc. I had put an oil pan gasket on and the sensor goes through the pan, with the minor gap increase, it wasn't getting signal and caused the problems.

Quick Reply: Car wont run, plz help guys