4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

helix throttle body spacer

Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by pcs
when you slow down the speed of an alternator, depending on the condition of it, you might have charging issues with it.
Hmmmm. I wonder if that's part of the reason my Nyghtmare eats through O'Really's batteries like they were candy? I thought I just had a sucky alternator...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 AM
smashten
1st Gear Member

i guess they prob got me on the pulleys.

future mods (after gear thats in mail) r going to be about moving air and exhaust. lt headers and x pipe, then heads, cams and intake manifold. Are the 75mm throttle bodies and plenums worth the cost? they advertise similar gains as pulleys for 3x the cost. Do the cai improve performance over the stock (i assume) tube if you have a k&n and pull out the metal screen just behind the cone?

Ghost - have you put a voltmeter to your battery while running?

Last edited by smashten; 10-11-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 10-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by smashten
i guess they prob got me on the pulleys.

future mods (after gear thats in mail) r going to be about moving air and exhaust. lt headers and x pipe, then heads, cams and intake manifold. Are the 75mm throttle bodies and plenums worth the cost? they advertise similar gains as pulleys for 3x the cost. Do the cai improve performance over the stock (i assume) tube if you have a k&n and pull out the metal screen just behind the cone?

Ghost - have you put a voltmeter to your battery while running?
Nope. When the old man gets home I'll have him haul out his Fluke (ahem)and check it out....

As for the 70mm TB - we put one on the Nyghtmare, along with a BBK CAI, MAC headers and exhaust. Huge difference. We've never dynoed it, but just driving it, I can say those items made a big difference. That may not be all that helpful to you unless you're going to do both exhaust and TB.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
Nope. When the old man gets home I'll have him haul out his Fluke (ahem)and check it out....

As for the 70mm TB - we put one on the Nyghtmare, along with a BBK CAI, MAC headers and exhaust. Huge difference. We've never dynoed it, but just driving it, I can say those items made a big difference. That may not be all that helpful to you unless you're going to do both exhaust and TB.
BBK cai eh? is it metal?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

It is. Polished even.

And before anyone calls me on it - I say its BBK, but it may be MAC - to be honest, at the time when my husband bought all the mods (And they are mostly MAC - he did bought them all at once and got a heckuva deal) I could have cared less about mods and cars as far as working on them or showing them. I didn't know a CAI from a TB from a header.

I am apparently a fast learner. He asked me to help him with the steel braid, and as I stood there watching him sweat and bleed and get pazzed off at the radiator spring clamps, I got bit by the bug. By the end of the day I'd steel braided everything I could out from under the hood, put the radiator in by myself, and learned Auto Anatomy 101 and 102. And it all went to crap from there.

Sorry for the long post. I felt I needed to explain my one-time ignorance.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

well heres your 2nd time ignorance lol, metal CAI FTL, heatsoak! i bet the stock intake is doing more than that aftermarket one.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Also consider how the CAI's are built. I was talking to a tuner, and his concern is the placement of the MAF. With the stock airbox, it's not a problem. With a CAI that puts a 90 deg. bend right before the sensor, your causing the intake charge to swirl into the sensor and you may not get an accurate reading.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

wow....noobs are so dumb. you bought the wrong thing.

here you go. http://www.faketurbo.com/
Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Can't remember what was done, but we did do something to the MAF, I know it was replaced with something, but what, I don't remember. Its been four or five years ago.

Heatsoak might be an issue, I agree. It seems like the CAI topic though is something that can be debated and debated.

And that turbo whistler is kinda nifty - till you have all the sound and the fury and no ***** to back it up. LOL
Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

ghost - your maf appeared to be inline behind cone. No bend in front of it.

You can have the Turbo sound without the cost of a $3500 Kit

LMAO! You weren't really trying to buy that Turbo Whistler were you?

Talking about heat soak, Whats the net effect from having an al intake manifold vs plastic. Wish I had a dyno and good return policies. Used to have a eldorado w/ 4.6 northstar. made more power with stock airbox and K&N than K&N w carved up airbox. Similar to open element of the CAI's.

Fluid dynamics gets complicated - wrong swirl or vortex in the wrong spot and you lose air speed - pressure -charge. sometimes it will help. I read about an indian who used to grind the top of a piston with a dremel. nothing fancy or precise. increased mileage due to better atomization.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: helix throttle body spacer