4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

helix throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
alexh123animals

Default helix throttle body spacer

i have a 2001 mustang gt automatic i just put a helix power tower throttle body spcer and when i go or rev it i cant hear the whistle sound im running an o/r h pipe and flowmaster is it because i have loud exaust or what could it be?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

you bought a what? lol you could have just given me the money i woulda spent it on something useful like food. Why would you assume a throttlebody spacer is supposed to make your car whistle? Some Cold air intakes make it whistle.... so do blowers.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna guess you just got the car, right? Don't feel bad, I bought one of those things too, before I knew any better. If there are two other things I can warn you about, I'd say U/D pulleys and CAI's are almost as much of a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. If you haven't already done those, then leave in the factory pulleys, and take the silencer out of the intake a throw a K&N drop-in filter in the factory box and call it a day.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

pulled this from their site:

Helix Power Tower Plus
delivers:

Up to 22 hp gains*
Up to 4 miles per gallon gains*
Up to 25 ft lb gain in Torque*
Easy installation
Quiet Operation
Performance benefits across entire power band*
Environmentally friendly with cleaner fuel burn
Fifty States Legal (C.A.R.B # D516-2)
*Performance level may vary among applications and driving style
Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i like the UP to gains, inother words if your cars making 900whp it will give you 22hp and 25 ft-lbs tq if you're running 20+ lbs of boost.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Thing about T/B spacers are they only fit stock units not aftermarket larger T/B and plenums so really is a waste
Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

UD pulleys a waste. I hope not or they got me. From what I remember about power class anything that reduces the load = more power. slower accesory speed requires less power.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

That's true but consider two things. One, I can tell you the gain is minimal, and for the price, if you want to reduce parasitic loss you're better off spending just a tad more and getting an electric water pump. Second, should you decide you want to do a blower in the future, you'll be switching back to your stock pulleys anyway. You won't be spinning the blower enough and I've heard that alot of centri's may not fit with the larger water pump and alt. pulleys in place.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Bullitt2theHead
1st Gear Member

This may just be me, but buying underdrive pulleys, which can give you insignificant amounts of hp, arent worth it. Simply put, do you really want to slow down your alternator and your water pump on a daily driven/street driven car?

Throttle body spacer on an efi car is an absolute waste. On a carb'd car, yeah its there to give you more intake volume, however an efi intake works on much different principles, so adding that 3 or 4 cubic inches to your intake before the runners does nothing. And any kind of "spiral" that spacer may or may not produce will be negated when the intake runners divvy up the air flow.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smashten
UD pulleys a waste. I hope not or they got me. From what I remember about power class anything that reduces the load = more power. slower accesory speed requires less power.
true, but the stock design is already efficient enough than you will not get much gain, also when you slow down the speed of an alternator, depending on the condition of it, you might have charging issues with it. i got 1 whp change on my 99gt. i bough ud pulleys back in 03, when their werent to many bolt on mods for mod engines. so i dont recommend the UDP for anyone.

Quick Reply: helix throttle body spacer