4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Advice on MAF,Throttle body & Pelinum

Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
new2gts

Smile Advice on MAF,Throttle body & Pelinum

Have decided to finish up bolt on's, Is the Accufab that much better than say Trick flow,Professional Products,etc? Got my tuner from Brenspeed & they will send me a tune if I buy from them otherwise it will be $75 I think. Looking to finish up with pulleys,pelinum,throttle body & maf. Thanks again Guys & Gals, sorry for being a PIA. Thoughts on pulleys please, on the fence with this one.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have the 75mm Accufab tb/plenum. I bought it because my tuner told me they were slightly better than others in terms of fit and finish. As far as power is concerned, i can't imagine it's really any better imo...despite what the tests say!

I can personally tell you udp's did make a difference in my ride. Before i had them, my brother (he has a 06 gt) would pull me ever so slightly in 3rd and 4th gear. Afterwards we were dead even. We did several runs to confirm it. It wasn't a difference i could actually feel, but apparently it was there...especially in 3rd and 4th.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I have the accufab 75mm tb&p combo as well, can't say how it compares to others since it is the only one i've owned. you do feel a sharper throttle response. There is no real comparison between the stock upper intake and the accufab one IMO.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

You dont need a new MAF until you're pushing quite a bit of power. Complete waste of money.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
I have the accufab 75mm tb&p combo as well, can't say how it compares to others since it is the only one i've owned. you do feel a sharper throttle response. There is no real comparison between the stock upper intake and the accufab one IMO.

Really? When I did mine it pulled in the upper rpm's way better.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
You dont need a new MAF until you're pushing quite a bit of power. Complete waste of money.
+1 good point...i totally agree! I didn't even catch that in his post until now.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
new2gts

Ok Thanks ! But still unsure of size .. was told 75mm may hurt me and stick with 70mm............... Thoughts, dyno tests... What should I order? ALSO< Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of what my car would run 1/4 mile in providing it was driven well with my mods and decent tires ? Have not been able to get off same time track is open since got mods on. Just wana run it once to see but haven't been able to. Thanks again !!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by new2gts
Ok Thanks ! But still unsure of size .. was told 75mm may hurt me and stick with 70mm............... Thoughts, dyno tests... What should I order? ALSO< Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of what my car would run 1/4 mile in providing it was driven well with my mods and decent tires ? Have not been able to get off same time track is open since got mods on. Just wana run it once to see but haven't been able to. Thanks again !!
You'll be fine with the 75mm. It will give the same gains as a 70mm, and some room to grow as well. Pesonally, i'd do the Accufab, but that's just me.

With your mods and good driving i'd guess maybe 13.7-13.9 on street tires, and 13.4-13.7 on drag radials. It really depends though.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

There has been some discussion about air volumn versus air velocity. The theory is that a 75mm TB provides more volumn but reduces velocity too much. That why some people say the 70 is better for a naturally aspirated motor and the 75 is better for a forced induction motor. I personally don't think there is enough difference to matter. Naturally aspirated motors only see a 2-3 rwhp gain with the TB/Plenum combo. My advice is to get the 75 because you might want to supercharge later.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
Really? When I did mine it pulled in the upper rpm's way better.
I can't say, it was one of the first things I did, did it the same time as the cai. so I hadn't raced it yet or even paid that much attention to it. I just butt dyno'd it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on MAF,Throttle body & Pelinum