4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car Still wont run, anymore thoughts? Plz?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Default Car Still wont run, anymore thoughts? Plz?

Alrighty, a couple weeks ago on my way to work the car dies, rpms drop to zero, it revs to 3k rpm, back to zero, and then the car just shuts off as im coasting down the freeway.

since then it wouldnt start, replaced the alternator, went over all of the vacuum lines and greased all of the electrical connections, now it starts, revs to 2krpms really rough, and then shuts itself off and wont start again unless I reset the battery or wait a few hours.

I cant seem to figure this one out, car has no DTC Codes and no abnormal lights on the dash. I know its got spark, I know its getting fuel, and compression is good.

Any1 else ran into this before? When it died it didnt make any funny noises or anything.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Your PATS is more than likely the culprit. Have you have a new key made recently?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

PATS? No I havent had a new key made in a long long time.

I just cleaned the TB, the PCV, IAC, IAT, and the MAF, put it back together and when I tryed to start it, i get nothing.

I still have no Idea on what is causing this TT
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Passive Anti Theft
Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

my car did the same thing last week. turned out to be a bad ground connection near the battery
Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
my car did the same thing last week. turned out to be a bad ground connection near the battery
Alrighty I guess I,ll try those next then.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Alrighty, cleaned up the grounds, and changed the thermostat gasket because I had an extra, and the car now backfires out of the exhaust a little bit when I try to start it...

All my connections are good, and the car is throwing no codes so technically the sensors must be functioning properly right? or at least giving back some kind of signal.

Only thing I can really think of is that the IAC valve went bad, it seems like when I fiddle with anything that has to do with air control, vacuum lines, etc, the car toggles from backfiring through the intake, to running rough for a split second, or now backfiring through the exhaust. I guess it could be a failed Crank position sensor, but wouldnt that show up as a MIL?

Im seriously running out of ideas guys, this is my daily driver, and its been MIA for a couple weeks now, im hurtin on this one bad, anything is appreciated, if you come up with something that fixes it ill love you long time.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Sniper6677
2nd Gear Member

its not your PATS, your car would shut off immediately after starting. put a fuel pressure gauge on it and turn your key on and see how much fuel pressure you have
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

The key is how long it stays running w/o a working key. The will stay running for several seconds before shutting itself off. From what the OP is now describing, it's not the PATS.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:44 AM
stalkr

i would say its your fuel pump. yeah you might have pressure but that doesn't mean you have enought pressure. Or.... maybe its ecu that went bad, since the ecu is bad it wont give you any codes.

Quick Reply: Car Still wont run, anymore thoughts? Plz?