4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Choppy whirring

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Choppy whirring

I will try to explain this noise and its occurrence as best as I can. PLEASE READ and give your best advice you can!!

Start off in first gear, begin to release clutch and apply gas, driving. Get into gear, shift into 2nd, shift into third. Start to come down hill with NO FOOT ON ANY PEDAL, and the car is rolling downhill WHILE engaged in 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 5th... doesn't matter what gear it is engaged in actually. I start going downhill without my foot on any pedal, and the transmission area under the car seems to be making a whirring noise. Seems to be coming from underneath the hump in front of the back seats, a choppy whirring noise. Choppy meaning that it cuts in and out, but is mostly consistent. The only time it cuts out is right after I release the gas before going downhill, and the car catches up with itself and it goes (whirring) (cutout) (whirring) (cut) (constant whirring the entire time I go down the hill from now until I either come to a COMPLETE stop (meaning the clutch be depressed), press on the gas, or push in the clutch at any time during the decent.

I mean, it really does it anytime that I am cruising in gear, but when going downhill you don't press the gas usually, so this is when I hear it.

So, it cant be:
Wheel related
Engine related
Driveshaft related
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Could be the rearend roaring.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you might have Rear end gear whine.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Maybe. My speedometer thinks that I am traveling 5mph faster than I actually am, so I am not sure what is up with the gearing or the gauges in my car. How do you fix this whine?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You will have to have someone redo/re setup your gears if you want it gone. Or pull the diff cover off and if everything looks fine just deal with it.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

It never did this before, though until recently about a month ago.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Any more guesses?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Im with everyone else here saying gear whine. You can try and change the fluid to see if it goes away, or have someone redo the gear set up (backlash, preload and all that good stuff). I just put gears in my car and they whine a little, but me and my friend set it up a little on the tighter side just to be safe.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Alright, update on the situation:

I tested something new out... I will cruise down a hill in neutral, and there is NO noise, does this mean that the transmission is the culprit? I can go downhill and be in gear with the clutch all the way down and there is obviously no noise too... Gears? Transmission??
Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Any guesses?

Quick Reply: Choppy whirring