4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How thick of wheelspacers for rear wheels to make flush with front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
kimlightningmcnulty

i have 265 40 18's on mine but the offset of the rear wheels puts them almost flush with the rear fender, its lowered on springs, don't know which type because they were on it when i brought it and mine does not rub, also i'm going to buy some 17's and cut the springs about another 1" and fit 1.5" spacers, i don't anticipate any issue.

p.s you might want to go with 295 30 18 to maintain a smaller rolling radius but thats up to you

kim
Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

There is very good info in this thread. I had an issue with rubbing my 245's in the rear, I actually had made a post about it. I had 1.5in spacers on the back or so I thought, since that is the norm to go with. However after thinking it was my springs and shocks that were to soft I upgraded stuff here and there and the problem was still there. Jazzer said my problem was the huge spacer and I said "**** it" i'll just take the spacers off. When I measured the spacers they were actually 2.25in! Damn ebay sellers!lol I was running them for almost 2yrs without any problems until I was lowered.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^

2.25" spacers are friggin' huge *Jazzer thinkin' in Scottish accent* The amount of spacer on can run is 100% determined by the off-set and width of said wheel. There are many, many factors that come into play with clearance, so is why you were able to run a spacer soo large on your ride.

I am currently running a set of 1/2" spacers and would litterally NOT be able to run my current 11" wheels without them. If I were to put a 1" spacer in its place, I would rub like a big dog.

Jazzer
Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^

2.25" spacers are friggin' huge *Jazzer thinkin' in Scottish accent* The amount of spacer on can run is 100% determined by the off-set and width of said wheel. There are many, many factors that come into play with clearance, so is why you were able to run a spacer soo large on your ride.

I am currently running a set of 1/2" spacers and would litterally NOT be able to run my current 11" wheels without them. If I were to put a 1" spacer in its place, I would rub like a big dog.

Jazzer
lol I know. I actually felt kinda stupid about it since I was running them so long without knowing they were that size. Since I paid for 1.5in, when they arrived I just assumed they were 1.5in. I didn't even know they had spacers that big, and just think I was nervous about running a 1.5in. lol
Old 10-27-2009, 02:55 AM
GTVert2000

You shouldnt have to do any body work to your car in order to get the wheels flush. Ford Widened the rear track in 99+ models, and they have very similar wheel wells (despite the flared fender). I would say go with 3/4" or 1" spacers, check the dealer/site recomendations tho because if you go over a certain width your going to want to replace the OE lugs with longer ones for obvious safety reasons. I have the 03' cobra wheels with 275/40 R17 Tires and the front and rear wheels still dont line up properly, im thinking .5" will do the trick for me. Good luck and post some pics after the install.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I feel as though I should just beat my head against a wall
Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM
dStuck
2nd Gear Member

i think im gonna wait till i put on my 03 cobra wheels on to see how much i need to space em out.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ there ya go

This is how to determine the space you HAVE in which to install a possible spacer:

1. Find a VERY steep inclined driveway and go up at a 45* angle. Get one wheel way up inside the well, while the other is completely out. This will force the rear axle to articulate as much as possible.

2. Confirm your wheel is as far up as it can go and measure how far your wheel/tire is from EVERYTHING along this path (measure on BOTH rear wheels at this point). You may need to back up a bit and reduce the articulation to measure the clearance as the tire passes the fender, in case you don't want to roll it. If you are willing to roll it, figure how much room you will aquire by doing so.

This is the ACTUAL available space you have in which to install a spacer. My personal recommendation is to install longer/stronger lug-bolts to accomodate the spacer you would like to run. I recommend at least 5/8" of threads in each lug, but is a subjective decision and based only on my gut feeling. This does NOT include the un-threaded starter portion of the studs either. I have a full 1" of threads on my lugs and have no concerns whatever reguarding safety of my ride.

Jazzer... all spaced out
Old 11-01-2009, 04:31 PM
kimlightningmcnulty

If you still are interested I got my wheels spacers in the post, they are 1" thick hubcentric spacers that i've fitted to the car now, its a 2001 bullitt with 10" wide 18s all round (fitted by the previous ownere), i had to put the spacers on to stop the front wheels contacting the front ARB on full lock, the wheels now have about 1/2" poke all round, the car is lowered on springs and there was a little rubbing to begin with but i've just rolled and flared the arches myself and now there are no problems.

thanks

kim
Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ there ya go

This is how to determine the space you HAVE in which to install a possible spacer:

1. Find a VERY steep inclined driveway and go up at a 45* angle. Get one wheel way up inside the well, while the other is completely out. This will force the rear axle to articulate as much as possible.

2. Confirm your wheel is as far up as it can go and measure how far your wheel/tire is from EVERYTHING along this path (measure on BOTH rear wheels at this point). You may need to back up a bit and reduce the articulation to measure the clearance as the tire passes the fender, in case you don't want to roll it. If you are willing to roll it, figure how much room you will aquire by doing so.

This is the ACTUAL available space you have in which to install a spacer. My personal recommendation is to install longer/stronger lug-bolts to accomodate the spacer you would like to run. I recommend at least 5/8" of threads in each lug, but is a subjective decision and based only on my gut feeling. This does NOT include the un-threaded starter portion of the studs either. I have a full 1" of threads on my lugs and have no concerns whatever reguarding safety of my ride.

Jazzer... all spaced out

Jazzer makes a good suggestion here to help ensure you don't get too much spacer. With that said, I ran 1" spacers on my 2000 GT and still had plenty of clearance, but it is a good idea to check before you buy anything. I also hear Jazzer raising some reasonable concerns about the bolt on spacers, but I am meticulous about periodically checking wheel lug torque so I will be adding these type of spacers and not worrying about them from a safety standpoint. If you run them, pull the wheels and check your spacer torques every few months. This way you know they are safely attached.
GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide to do!

Quick Reply: How thick of wheelspacers for rear wheels to make flush with front wheels?