4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car is stalling when I come to as stop, after boost.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Default Car is stalling when I come to as stop, after boost.

I'm running a Hellion single turbo setup and it seems like every time I get on it hard then let off all the way or brake immediately, the car dies. I've been trying to figure it out for awhile now. I have a couple ideas of what it could be. I thought it might be because the IAC, even if it's working properly, can't compensate for such a larger volume of air moving through the intake piping and then it dropping off quickly when I let off the gas pedal. To fix it I thought about making the setscrew on the throttle body stick out a little farther to keep the butterfly open a little bit more at idle, then disconnecting the battery to reset the idling parameters in the ECU, then letting the car sit and run for about 15 minutes to re-learn the idle. I figure that this might take some of the burden off of the IAC to properly idle the car by letting a little more air than normal flow through the throttle body itself. Maybe somebody on here can give me a little bit more of a concrete answer than just my speculation.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

My car was doing the exact same thing esp. when I would put the car in neutral after letting out of it with a Vortech when I didn't have the tune completely dialed in. After I got some help getting the tune perfect it doesn't happen anymore.

How is your tuning?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

ITS BLOWER SURGE - get a bypass valve - or check your bypass valve - or adjust your bypass valve etc...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
My car was doing the exact same thing esp. when I would put the car in neutral after letting out of it with a Vortech when I didn't have the tune completely dialed in. After I got some help getting the tune perfect it doesn't happen anymore.

How is your tuning?
That's what a few other people have told me too, that they think the tune is a little off. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to me if it was, the car was tuned immediately after the turbo kit was installed, and it was tuned in Missouri and I live in Georgia, so I'm sure that the difference in climate and elevation in addition to the car "learning" to work with the turbo has effected the way it runs somewhat. I'll probably get her put up on the dyno next week to see if the tune can be dialed in a little better. Thanks for the input
Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rthouck
ITS BLOWER SURGE - get a bypass valve - or check your bypass valve - or adjust your bypass valve etc...
I looked that up and it makes sense too. If the bypass valve isn't letting enough air pass through it, then too much air is going to be pushed into the engine, which in turn is going to cause a very lean condition due to the fact that no extra fuel is being delivered, which will cause the engine to die. Is that about right? So basically I want to adjust the bypass valve so that it allows air to flow through it more easily? Will that work if my bypass valve recirculates the air back into the compressor and doesn't vent it into the atmosphere?