4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

i did a dumb thing but now im lost

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
Once that happened to a Camaro at my dad's dealership. It turned off and wouldn't start because the fuel ran out. So, they put gas in it with fuel injector cleaner, finally got it to start and revved the hell out of it!! redline revv. At that instant, a big BOOM went off and a cloud of drak black smoke came out the tailpipes. The slomaro then idled smoothly.
Maybe your injectors are dirty due to the fuel pump sucking up dirt that may have gotten into your gas tank? idk but that slomaro incident was a trip:/
yea.. redline rev + boom does not = fixing a problem with any car.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
stangoroma

ok well is there a good site on how to test the pump and to change it out, the reason i think its the pumpnis i pulled the line off the fuel rails and turned in to the on position and it didnt flow out and did the same at the filter and still nothing would it hurt anything if i hit the line with some air to back flush it.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

Whack the bottom of the tank. It can bring a pump back to life temporarily.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Either that or your ran completely out of fuel before you thought so and your pump overheated.

Like people are saying, check the fuse in the trunk. I bet something like that is the culprit.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 PM
stangoroma

well i was hitting the tank like it owes me money and i looked at that shut off switch and it's down i read that theres a relay or modual under the front left fender have you guys heard of that before?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:55 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

ive ran into a fe problems before with previous stangs ive had and i know its gonna sound like a PIA but your best bet would be to pull your pump n check it beacuse it might be clogged up the next would be to pull your fuel rails off(with the injectors in tack) and VERY VERY easily shot a little air in em make sure no dirt or anything has it stopped up, if you do all that and everything is fine with the pump try it then if still nothing the only thing left are the lines being clogged. at that point you can either replace them or try n clean em out.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

haha that clip of kramer was great.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

To the O/P good luck
Seinfeld, best sitcom ever!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

really hot fuel pump getting soaked in cold gas bad.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

+1 On the problem probably being the pump.

Settling sediment on the bottom of the tank can be consumed by the pump, clogging or killing it or lodging it somewhere in the line as stated above. I really don't think the inertia switch is going to have much to do with it. A pinpoint test on the fuel pump would be the best bet.

Quick way to test the flow of your pump and the lines, pull your fuel feed off of your fuel rail and aim it into a contatiner. Prime your fuel pump by turning the key on to the key on/engine off position. Once you have properly diagnosed the concern and move forward to regaining fuel flow, this will be a quick way of knowing.

As I said, test your fuel pump. A pinpoint test, or if you're mechanically inclined pull it out.

Quick Reply: i did a dumb thing but now im lost