4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a victim of spark plug blowout

Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

Default a victim of spark plug blowout

so today i was on the freeway, just cruisin and all of sudden i lost a little bit of power and my engine sounded like i was using a semi truck "jake Brake" and this wasnt gradual, it came on instantly. so i pulled over and popped my hood (in nuts rush hour traffic with a shoulder that my stang barely fit into lol) and so im listening with my hood up and it sounds like the passenger side cylinder bank. the noise was completely rpm dependant and sounded like compressed air escaping through a small hole. i couldnt really take a good look though (due to traffic and pouring down rain) thankfully AAA came to my rescue and got me home. this sounds like plug blowout to me. any other opinions? also i have searched this forum and found that some people used helicoil to fix this. so i wanna try that (if it really is plug blowout). please tell me i dont have to pull my crappy romeo head off to fix this. and thanks for any help
Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Well either the plug blew out or it didn't....check them all and see.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
duder69

blow out plug,check spark plugs if they have water signs then that means you threw a crank rod cause of bearing spun.if not then check rod and lifters,if freeze plug,then just replace them! good luck!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

between work and school, i dont see how im gonna have a chance to take a look at her until sunday but ill let you guys know for sure
Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duder69
blow out plug,check spark plugs if they have water signs then that means you threw a crank rod cause of bearing spun.if not then check rod and lifters,if freeze plug,then just replace them! good luck!
Huh???? I think he would have know if he threw a rod through the block.

If your plug blew out, you would know it.

Just look under the hood and see if you have a coil pack scattered in 100 pieces.

Doesn't take a lot of investigation.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0440thgt
Huh???? I think he would have know if he threw a rod through the block.

If your plug blew out, you would know it.

Just look under the hood and see if you have a coil pack scattered in 100 pieces.

Doesn't take a lot of investigation.
+1 ^..
Old 11-07-2009, 07:31 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

dumb ***, read the thread again.
huh? duh?
they do go out gradualy!
wtf, does the coil?pack have to do anything with it....
your @+*!'in retarded!!!
Could a moderator please ban this person.

The coil pack, my friend, connects to the spark plug on the SOHC 4.6 engines.

When the plug blows out, the coil pack usually ends up exploding due to the force of the plug coming out with such violent force.

Now, who's retarded.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Scott99gi

Folks this is why you don't get trashed and try to give advise.

Last edited by Scott99gi; 11-07-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

alright so today i pulled my plug out. passenger side 3rd cylinder from the front. im not sure what the cylinder number is. 5 or 6? but my cop boot was torn in half and my spark plug had no gap. i talked to my dad (a bitchin mechanic but he lives 100 miles away so he cant help me out too much lol) and he said if the piston contacted the spark plug that the whole bottom of the spark plug and the electrode would be crushed, which its not. i can see on the threads of the plug, it looks like the plug was physically pulled out of the head, but i believe that since the threads from the head are not on the plug...that my head still has threads in it. *im praying to the stang gods* so whoever changed my plugs before i put the car in used autolite 764's. so my plan is to buy another cop. where should i buy just one? it is to my knowledge that they are all the same, just with different stickers on them. also im gonna buy motorcraft sp493 plugs. if it blows out again then i am probably gonna do a timesert. im gonna try and post pics but dont know how. opinions?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1109091647.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...109091647a.jpg
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
colklink

Let us know what you find, I'd be interested to know what caused this.

I'm a recent GM convert, and I can't say I dislike my mustang, I just don't get how Ford screwed up so much when it comes to the engine. Spark plugs blowing out is absolutely ridiculous. Plus the fact they were pushing 265 horsepower when their competitor was making well over 300...

My GT had the original plugs with 60k miles. I've had the car about a month and already blew out a plug. I went ahead and replaced them with new plugs, and found that another was loose. I torqued them all to spec and have my fingers crossed.....

Oh well, I'm sure I'll warm up more to it if I go for a little while without parts flying off of the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a victim of spark plug blowout