4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
OlGeezer

Default Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer

1999 2V GT w/74k miles. I just picked this up. The PO says he did all the maintenance but I'm starting to believe that was limited to changing the oil on a somewhat regular basis.

I've got a loud noise coming from the rear, maybe left rear. It sounds like a bearing to me, but I don't have a clue. I'm not a wrench. I have an appointment with my local mechanic for Monday morning. I took him for a ride in it yesterday. He says it might be a bearing.

The question:
IF he pulls the differential apart, I'm thinking that IF I were ever going to change the gear ratio, now is the time to do it. My question is should I do it? Every thread I've read about this issue says "yes". But, I'm not ever planning on taking my car to the drag strip or anything like that. Yes, I do plan to have a little fun in it every once in a while, but I've got a couple of motorcycles for my adrenaline fix.

So, no B.S., should I change the gear ratio?

Thank you,
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

track or not itll wake your car up for those times you do romp on it. are you financially able to afford the gears, a rebuild kit, and either a speedcal (cheap) or a handheld tuner (more expensive) to fix your speedo?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

went from 3.27s to 3.73s and would never go back. i would go for it
Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I would do it if money wasn't a big concern. The stock gears are no fun. I haven't installed gears yet but if I had the chance like you I wouldn't hesistate to do it.

4.10s FTW!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Ill say DEPENDS.

If you have an auto tranny, I would say don't even worry about it.

However, if you own a 5 speed, throw a set of 4.10s in there and just simply have a shop "93 tune" your car (hp increase will be minimal and since they will have to re-tune the car anyways for the new gears, it would be done side by side just like what your doing now)

BUT, that is only if you have a few extra dollars to spend, and if not, don't worry about it. It wont be "that" big of a deal to somebody who really doesn't care either way.

Last edited by 0949er; 11-07-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
Ill say DEPENDS.

If you have an auto tranny, I would say don't even worry about it.

However, if you own a 5 speed, throw a set of 4.10s in there and just simply have a shop "93 tune" your car (hp increase will be minimal and since they will have to re-tune the car anyways for the new gears, it would be done side by side just like what your doing now)

BUT, that is only if you have a few extra dollars to spend, and if not, don't worry about it. It wont be "that" big of a deal to somebody who really doesn't care either way.
doesnt make much sense to me. autos will get more fun factor from gears than a 5sp will. ontop of that if he has his car tuned with 93 and gear change he can get shift firmness upped a little ontop of that to make it even more fun.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:21 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Go for it and don't look back.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:27 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OlGeezer

So, no B.S., should I change the gear ratio?

Thank you,
That all depends on what your personal priorities are. Numerically increasing the rear gear ratio will improve acceleration, however the trade off is that the fuel economy of the vehicle can take a big nose dive. Gas prices have been steadily increasing and if this car is your daily driver and not some kind of race car, then cost of operation becomes a practical consideration.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:08 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
That all depends on what your personal priorities are. Numerically increasing the rear gear ratio will improve acceleration, however the trade off is that the fuel economy of the vehicle can take a big nose dive. Gas prices have been steadily increasing and if this car is your daily driver and not some kind of race car, then cost of operation becomes a practical consideration.

Thanks for that. I'm already going through MPG shock. The GT replaced a 6 cylinder Camry. However, my commute is a grand total of 1.5 miles. I should probably be walking anyway.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
track or not itll wake your car up for those times you do romp on it. are you financially able to afford the gears, a rebuild kit, and either a speedcal (cheap) or a handheld tuner (more expensive) to fix your speedo?
I had been under the impression speedo correction is done by changing the speedo gear at the transmission. That didn't sound too extravagant to me. Is there more to it than that?

Quick Reply: Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer