4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is is dangerous for me to run without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Default Is is dangerous for me to run without a tune?

Well, it's looking more and more likely that I am not going to be able to get a proper dyno tune till early next year due to cashflow problems. Is it dangerous for me to be running the Mark VIII engine with the GT tune? The last thing that I want is to mess up the new motor and have to rebuild it. It's running the stock GT fuel injectors, MAF, IAT and O2 sensors. Using the Mark VIII EGR, coolant sensor and IAC.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

can you not just get your ECU flashed to a mark8 tune? or get one of those cheap mail order tunes until next year? those are far from perfect but would be safe enuff for a street car.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
can you not just get your ECU flashed to a mark8 tune? or get one of those cheap mail order tunes until next year? those are far from perfect but would be safe enuff for a street car.
How would I go about getting the ECU flashed? Doesn't a mail order tune require a chip or tuner? I am completely new to flashing and computer tuning. Would the lack of IMRC's and an auto tranny fire off codes? I am trying to get a diablosport chip from a member here, but he has yet to send me a paypal address.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You have to own a handheld to use a mail in tune.
A cheaper option for you instead of a Dyno tune is to get ahold of MPT.com
http://www.morepowertuning.com/
If you have a lap top and a hand held tuner you can do a Data log and e-mail the file to them and they will send you a tune for your car. When I did mine we did 6 different data logs but they kept working on it until they got it right
But to answer your ? you should be ok. I'm sure it isn't running optimal but I'm sure it will get you from a to b.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD Idea to run that without a tune......bad bad bad
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Is it me or has there been a large # of S197 and Fox people coming into the 4.6 section and giving out crappy advise.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
You have to own a handheld to use a mail in tune.
A cheaper option for you instead of a Dyno tune is to get ahold of MPT.com
http://www.morepowertuning.com/
If you have a lap top and a hand held tuner you can do a Data log and e-mail the file to them and they will send you a tune for your car. When I did mine we did 6 different data logs but they kept working on it until they got it right
But to answer your ? you should be ok. I'm sure it isn't running optimal but I'm sure it will get you from a to b.
That's just it, I am trying to save up for a hand held. You have to have one for a shop to dyno tune anyway right? It runs fine, no codes or anything. I was leaning out at first, but I had vacuum leaks out the wazoo which are now fixed and it seems to be ok. I am not concerned about the full power yet, I just don't want to be passing someone and blow my engine apart.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD Idea to run that without a tune......bad bad bad
What? Just because you have more money than sense doesn't mean everyone does.

Originally Posted by BraMas
Is it me or has there been a large # of S197 and Fox people coming into the 4.6 section and giving out crappy advise.
+1 Also, how's things been lately?

Originally Posted by JC316
That's just it, I am trying to save up for a hand held. You have to have one for a shop to dyno tune anyway right? It runs fine, no codes or anything. I was leaning out at first, but I had vacuum leaks out the wazoo which are now fixed and it seems to be ok. I am not concerned about the full power yet, I just don't want to be passing someone and blow my engine apart.
Most shops will require you to have a handheld to tune the car. Just plugging the handheld in won't magically make it run better - the files that are loaded on them are for mostly stock cars. Here's the scenario:

Let's face it, the DOHC doesn't make much more power stock for stock than the SOHC does, and neither of them make a ton of NA power in the first place. Even if the tune is drastically off, you'll really have a hard time hurting it.

MAF systems are pretty adaptable. The ECU allows 25% long term fuel trim adjustment, with a check engine light after 10%. The MAF measures the amount of air going into the car, it knows your injector size, and it adds enough fuel to compensate. That's an oversimplification but that's what is happening.

If you're using the same size injectors that came on your other motor, I can say with a high amount of certainty that your A/F ratio is very close to perfect.

Same goes for spark timing. The DOHC probably has nearly the same spark table as the SOHC. Even if it -is- advanced a few degrees, I took my car while it was stock +7 degrees on 93 octane instead of 87 before I got spark knock while driving around, and it knocked after +6 degres at WOT.

There's a nice big buffer zone.

A WORD OF WARNING:

The GT rev limiter is 6050 RPM. That's fine, don't push it.

The GT ECU doesn't have information in the tables for anything higher than 6000 RPM. On my car, I haven't adjusted that yet. If I rev my car anything past 6k RPM, I get a big black cloud out the back and it loses power, because the ECU just guesses and retards the timing to 0 (no data left in the table).

Once it's tuned, they can adjust the tables and you'll have whatever rev limit you like. Take that DOHC to 7k, where it belongs

And don't worry too much in the mean time, you'll be fine... if you don't feel/hear spark knock now, and you have no check engine light, that means that fuel is within 10% of dead on.

If you're really worried, use your handheld when you get it and add 5% fuel and take out 3 degrees timing, then beat the hell out of it.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
Most shops will require you to have a handheld to tune the car. Just plugging the handheld in won't magically make it run better - the files that are loaded on them are for mostly stock cars. Here's the scenario:

Let's face it, the DOHC doesn't make much more power stock for stock than the SOHC does, and neither of them make a ton of NA power in the first place. Even if the tune is drastically off, you'll really have a hard time hurting it.

MAF systems are pretty adaptable. The ECU allows 25% long term fuel trim adjustment, with a check engine light after 10%. The MAF measures the amount of air going into the car, it knows your injector size, and it adds enough fuel to compensate. That's an oversimplification but that's what is happening.

If you're using the same size injectors that came on your other motor, I can say with a high amount of certainty that your A/F ratio is very close to perfect.

Same goes for spark timing. The DOHC probably has nearly the same spark table as the SOHC. Even if it -is- advanced a few degrees, I took my car while it was stock +7 degrees on 93 octane instead of 87 before I got spark knock while driving around, and it knocked after +6 degres at WOT.

There's a nice big buffer zone.

A WORD OF WARNING:

The GT rev limiter is 6050 RPM. That's fine, don't push it.

The GT ECU doesn't have information in the tables for anything higher than 6000 RPM. On my car, I haven't adjusted that yet. If I rev my car anything past 6k RPM, I get a big black cloud out the back and it loses power, because the ECU just guesses and retards the timing to 0 (no data left in the table).

Once it's tuned, they can adjust the tables and you'll have whatever rev limit you like. Take that DOHC to 7k, where it belongs

And don't worry too much in the mean time, you'll be fine... if you don't feel/hear spark knock now, and you have no check engine light, that means that fuel is within 10% of dead on.

If you're really worried, use your handheld when you get it and add 5% fuel and take out 3 degrees timing, then beat the hell out of it.
Now THAT is a response. Thanks alot man, that clears up a ton of questions that I had. I accidentally found the rev limiter the other day, pushed it just a tad farther than a wanted to and the power just vanished as the engine stalled. The Mark VIII redline is 6K, just like the GT, but my sisters 96 Mark goes to 6300RPM at WOT. They say that it's safe to take it to 6500RPM, but I am not really interested as it makes peak power before 6K anyway.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

If you have a tuner and a wideband you can make a safe tune on your engine. Get a low timing setting to start and get your AFR correct and then slowly add timing till you get some pinging and then back it off a few degrees (3ish)

Quick Reply: Is is dangerous for me to run without a tune?