4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ET streets and stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default ET streets and stock clutch

Well I used to go to the track really often with pretty much the mods in my sig (minus the 31 spline rear, LCA's, and TB/plenum) and with Nitto DR's. I eventually broke my rear and upgraded to a 31 spline set up.

I haven't been to the track for like over 3 months so i'm getting really track sick and tomorrow is another test and tune day. I now have a pair of 26" ET street DOT slicks on prostars which I've used at the track twice with my 31 spline rear end. The thing is on both days, the track wasn't gripping as well as usual but it did still hook really well on the ET streets considering I didn't floor it completely until I was like a few feet ahead.

I'm thinking about going again tomorrow but I am paranoid about my clutch blowing and breaking down again. I know anything can happen but I was wondering how strong is the stock clutch generally? and does it usually go out slowly (ie. start slipping) or will it just go BANG like my rear end did?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I would think you'd be okay as far as catastophic failure is concerned, maybe it'll slip some if it's really worn. I once had a clutch disc shatter in my company truck (it actually let go while cruising in 5th), but we drive those like rental cars. Just curious, but what track are you going to? Fontana, Irwindale?? I haven't been yet, but was thinking about going to Fontana this weekend. And one more, what kind of times are you used to achieving with slicks (figuring they shave off about .3 from street tires)?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I would think you'd be okay as far as catastophic failure is concerned, maybe it'll slip some if it's really worn. I once had a clutch disc shatter in my company truck (it actually let go while cruising in 5th), but we drive those like rental cars. Just curious, but what track are you going to? Fontana, Irwindale?? I haven't been yet, but was thinking about going to Fontana this weekend. And one more, what kind of times are you used to achieving with slicks (figuring they shave off about .3 from street tires)?
Thanks for the reply. Ya i'm about to head out to Irwindale. I know Fontana has another street legal event this weekend but it's always a complete madhouse there I've heard so it's not worth my while to go out there lol. Especially since I live in Santa Monica, i'm not too inclinded at waking up at 4:30am and driving 70 miles for just 2 runs lol
Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Be careful in the burnout box and you should be fine. Remember to "pop" the clutch and not slip it starting the burnout.