4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

gear oil weight and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Looks like an MGW... cant wait for mine...
im runnin 75w90 royal purple, thats what it came with(well, not the royal purple part), and what it had on the tag. might consider swapping, but im not sure if it makes too much of a difference???
Old 12-21-2009, 02:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It is an MGW, here's a link to my write-up about same.

As to the gear oil, if I had 75W90, 80W90, or whatever hypoid rated gear oil in the rear-end, and did not race or pound on the car a lot, I'd not bother to change it out--maybe, read more below.

You will get slightly better fuel economy with the thinner oil--this of course is at the expense of accelerated wear of the gears, however with light to moderate duty we're talking about 200,000 miles vs. 250,000 miles...

--------------------------------------------------------------
In further researching the axle tag issue I found this TSB (04-24-20) which states in part:

Refill axles with 4 oz. Friction Modifier (XL-3) and the necessary amount of Rear Axle Lubricant XY-75W140-QL, regardless of the axle lubricant originally used in the axle. Fill to capacity recommended in the Workshop Manual.
and;

AXLE FLUID REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL VEHICLES BEING REPAIRED BY THIS TSB MUST HAVE REAR AXLE LUBE XY-75W140-QL INSTALLED, IN PLACE OF XY-75W90-QFEHP. AS PART OF THIS REPAIR, CHECK AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY THE CURRENT XY-75W90-Q“FEHP” METAL TAG, WITH A NEW 75W140 TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA).

ADDITIONALLY, REMOVE THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE, OR BLOCK OUT ANY/ALL “FEHP” OR “75W90” REFERENCES ON THE LABEL.
The TSB doesn't say so, however apparently there were some vehicles that were incorrectly filled with and tagged for 75W90 gear oil, which causes premature wear of the LSD clutch packs.

The fact that it's a TSB and not a recall indicates that some vehicles may never experience the problem (until after they are off warranty); this makes the real question "Do you feel lucky today?".
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

awesome. thanks for the info. will change it after the holidays. figures that the shop that also did my 3.73's didnt read or know about TSB's, and also filled my rear with 75w90 (in 2007). i havent pounded on it too hard, so i dont spose theres too much damage if any.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 AM
BOSTANG
2nd Gear Member

That was great Cliffyk.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Goochstang
1st Gear Member

My differential was leaking and I used Lucas 75-140, 2 qts of it.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

I change my differential fluid every two years or 20K miles whatever comes first
and everytime I change it the differential fluid is dirty.The rear end tag on my
1996 Ford Mustang GT says 75W90.I always use two quarts of 75W90 Mobil 1 synthetic
gear oil and one 4 oz. bottle of Ford Motorcraft friction modifier and I never have had
a problem.One of my friends has a 2001 Ford Mustang GT and the tag on his rear end
says 75W140 so,Cliffy is correct you should use a 75W140 gear oil.Although I belive
you should only use two quarts of gear oil and one 4 oz. bottle of friction modifier.
I know Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil doesn't have the friction modifier additive in it and
you should add it if you use this brand gear oil.Also the Royal Purple gear oil does have the
friction modifier additive already in it and if you get this brand gear oil make sure you
get three quarts.Flushing and refilling your differential fluid is one of the most neglected
maintenance services and you should always change your differential fluid on time every
time.Also I recommend using a synthetic gear oil in the rear end of your Ford Mustang.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I change my differential fluid every two years or 20K miles whatever comes first
and everytime I change it the differential fluid is dirty.The rear end tag on my
1996 Ford Mustang GT says 75W90.I always use two quarts of 75W90 Mobil 1 synthetic
gear oil and one 4 oz. bottle of Ford Motorcraft friction modifier and I never have had
a problem.One of my friends has a 2001 Ford Mustang GT and the tag on his rear end
says 75W140 so,Cliffy is correct you should use a 75W140 gear oil.Although I belive
you should only use two quarts of gear oil and one 4 oz. bottle of friction modifier.
I know Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil doesn't have the friction modifier additive in it and
you should add it if you use this brand gear oil.Also the Royal Purple gear oil does have the
friction modifier additive already in it and if you get this brand gear oil make sure you
get three quarts.Flushing and refilling your differential fluid is one of the most neglected
maintenance services and you should always change your differential fluid on time every
time.Also I recommend using a synthetic gear oil in the rear end of your Ford Mustang.
For the love of god this is the 3rd thread I opened this morning and its you giving the same wrong information, its like a twilight zone episode. Did you not see the section from the service manual that cliffy posted about the rear end fluid being lubricated for life. Im not going to re type so I am just gonna copy and past my previos reply from the other post.
Quote: Bladerunner
Good job nice write up!
Flushing and refilling your differential fluid is one of the most neglected maintenance
services.Definitley make sure your differential fluid is changed on time or you are
putting your whole rear end in jeopardy.I change my differential fluid every two years
or 20K miles whatever comes first and everytime I change it the fluid is dirty.
I recommend always using a synthetic differential fluid when you change your differential
fluid. I like to use Mobil 1 75W90 Gear Oil everytime I change mine and don't forget the
friction modifier!
Ok Bladerunner I hate to bring this up again in another thread but the majority of this post is just flat out WRONG,when you are stating most people "neglect" the gear oil the most because they don't change it you have to realize in the SERVICE MANUAL from FORD It states that the rear end is lubricated for life aka you don't need to change the gear fluid. Myself, along with others im sure, still do gear fluid changes BUT the majority of non-gearhead people or average americans are NOT going to change their gear fluid when the manual from the company says its lubricated for life. So its not that people are "neglecting" their rear ends they are simply following the directions in the service manual, and even when ford specified a change interval for the rear ends it was never 20k miles it was around 50-60k.

Last edited by uberstang1; 12-02-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It is an MGW, here's a link to my write-up about same.
-
In further researching the axle tag issue I found this TSB (04-24-20) which states in part:

and;

The TSB doesn't say so, however apparently there were some vehicles that were incorrectly filled with and tagged for 75W90 gear oil, which causes premature wear of the LSD clutch packs.

The fact that it's a TSB and not a recall indicates that some vehicles may never experience the problem (until after they are off warranty); this makes the real question "Do you feel lucky today?".
Bladerunner you are recommending wrong fluid weight as well.

Last edited by uberstang1; 12-02-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:07 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

I know this is old but was wondering if adding the 4 oz of friction modifier, do you still need the additional .125 quart of gear oil?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 PM
jgordon
1st Gear Member

i have the early 2001,do i still use the 75 140 gear oil?

Quick Reply: gear oil weight and how much?