4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

throttle body and plenum required?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Throttle body spacers are complete junk, they do absolutely nothing, intake spacers do help some, but not a TB spacer.

I agree with the above, skip the bolt on crap and move onto better things. The Plenum will help a little but not much unless you have secondary mods to compliment it.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:39 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Bolt ons by themselves dont gain you much, but when you start doing more they start to really wake each other up.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

^^ +1 you got to start somewhere. Bolt ons have there place just like a programer, gears and an exhaust, they just cost a hell of a-lot less. they will eventually be needed later on if you decide to keep going with your mods. ive done the bolt on thing t/b plenum, CAI, and exhaust and it really woke the car up. it was the first step for me in my build and i found it to be worth it....yeah and scatch the spacer waste of money.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well the spacer isn't a complete waste of money, it makes a pretty cool paper weight...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
travbedaman
1st Gear Member

Well other than my catless xpipe and straight throught catback mufflers my 01 GT was completely stock engine wise (ok, well besides some NGK spark plugs), until yesterday when I finally put on my first four bolt ons in one day. Professional Products 70mm TB, plenum, K&N FIPK CAI and pulleys.

Now a day and about 10 miles later the car is literally like night and day. No, Its not "in my head" as I have read on here by many people. Im spinning my tires without even trying now. Second gear actually seems useful. However I dont think hardly anyone puts all of these bolt ons on in one shot, so maybe one reason why it seems so different now.

I think the way to build up these models is start out with all your basic bolt ons (exhaust stuff, TB, plenum, cai, pullleys) then get a tuner and finally gears. Think about it, if you start with the "not so impressive" HP bolt on mods and then gradually move to the "bigger bang for your buck" (tuner, gears) mods, you are making a gradual progression (good-better-best). That seems to make more sense then going for gears right off the bat, which is hands down your best "basic inexpensive" mod, but then getting slightly disapointed when your next mod (or mods) dont equate to the same seat of the pants feel you got from gears... Its like riding the biggest baddest *** roller coaster FIRST and then going on the kiddie coaster second. How much more did the second coaster suck BECAUSE you did the best thing first! Duh, save the best for last!

And I dont see how some people preach not to waste your money on the basic bolt ons. Im not rich by any means but if your thrifty you should be able to get your TB, plenum, CAI and pulleys for around 500 bones like myself, and thats not breaking the bank by most peoples standards.

I dunno, everyone has their own opinion...and thats mine.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Yes, by all means go bigger and better, but remember, there's a reason almost everyone does the bolt-ons first. Your tb/plenum and full exhaust bolt-ons are there to allow your engine to breathe, which is going to be vital when you decide to spend the money on boost or spray. And you're going to need that tuner to tune for either of these items. The gears are going to put you into your powerband faster, which is just as useful with nitrous as it is n/a, and with a boost car they're going to put you into boost faster.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by travbedaman
Well other than my catless xpipe and straight throught catback mufflers my 01 GT was completely stock engine wise (ok, well besides some NGK spark plugs), until yesterday when I finally put on my first four bolt ons in one day. Professional Products 70mm TB, plenum, K&N FIPK CAI and pulleys.

Now a day and about 10 miles later the car is literally like night and day. No, Its not "in my head" as I have read on here by many people. Im spinning my tires without even trying now. Second gear actually seems useful. However I dont think hardly anyone puts all of these bolt ons on in one shot, so maybe one reason why it seems so different now.

I think the way to build up these models is start out with all your basic bolt ons (exhaust stuff, TB, plenum, cai, pullleys) then get a tuner and finally gears. Think about it, if you start with the "not so impressive" HP bolt on mods and then gradually move to the "bigger bang for your buck" (tuner, gears) mods, you are making a gradual progression (good-better-best). That seems to make more sense then going for gears right off the bat, which is hands down your best "basic inexpensive" mod, but then getting slightly disapointed when your next mod (or mods) dont equate to the same seat of the pants feel you got from gears... Its like riding the biggest baddest *** roller coaster FIRST and then going on the kiddie coaster second. How much more did the second coaster suck BECAUSE you did the best thing first! Duh, save the best for last!

And I dont see how some people preach not to waste your money on the basic bolt ons. Im not rich by any means but if your thrifty you should be able to get your TB, plenum, CAI and pulleys for around 500 bones like myself, and thats not breaking the bank by most peoples standards.

I dunno, everyone has their own opinion...and thats mine.
+1 exactly a programmer is gunna net you what like 10-12 hp on our cars and cost around 500 bucks. Thats a lot of money for the gain right now your better off to do that later on down the road when its gunna net you mor power becuz of all the other things you have allready done. programmer and gears are my next step this spring.