4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

IAC VALVE isn't working...??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

yeah, that was posted on one of my threads, haha. i think what someone else said was that if its gummed up or stuck, it might be able to be cleaned. if its broken, its not serviceable. i tried cleaning mine, and it has worked so far. maybe it wont stay working, i dunno...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You won't see any "butterfly" move, as the IAC is a solenoid plunger/disc type valve.

The plunger will move about 3/16" when full 12V power is applied, however in operation it is driven by the PCM with a variable duty cycle DC wave and the key-off to key-on travel may be far less than that maximum, and not "in-your-face" noticeable.

The resistance of the solenoid coil should be 6.0Ω to 12.0Ω, typically 8.0Ω or so...

Some have reported success cleaning them, but the Ford shop manual is quite explicit that "The IAC Valve Assembly is NOT ADJUSTABLE and CANNOT BE CLEANED"
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You won't see any "butterfly" move, as the IAC is a solenoid plunger/disc type valve.

The plunger will move about 3/16" when full 12V power is applied, however in operation it is driven by the PCM with a variable duty cycle DC wave and the key-off to key-on travel may be far less than that maximum, and not "in-your-face" noticeable.

The resistance of the solenoid coil should be 6.0Ω to 12.0Ω, typically 8.0Ω or so...

Some have reported success cleaning them, but the Ford shop manual is quite explicit that "The IAC Valve Assembly is NOT ADJUSTABLE and CANNOT BE CLEANED"
That bold part was a smack in the face haha. Well i gave it a shot. A lot of people seemed to clean it and be problem free.

I thought that i might be able to see the valve inside move, but it didnt move a mm.. didn't even budge. i think i would have been able to see a 3/16" movement. It just looks extremely dirty in there. Even after i cleaned it out (the fluid was brown after flushing the iac), the valve still looked all brown and gunked up. The electrical part is good. i can feel the power going through the IAC valve when the key is turned to the on position. It's just that nothing is moving (or at least i cant see anything move)

I am switching my IAC with my friend's to see if my car will idle with his IAC on my car.. If that works, i will be going to the parts store to get a new IAC valve..It's nice to have a friend who has a 99-04GT

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Update -

Switched my friend's IAC valve with mine and the car ran. Looks like i will be buying a new IAC valve.

Thanks guys
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I don't know how many times I've told people the IAC isn't serviceable.... It almost makes me sick when I see people suggesting to clean the IAC. It doesn't work.

I told you it wasn't your COP's.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I don't know how many times I've told people the IAC isn't serviceable.... It almost makes me sick when I see people suggesting to clean the IAC. It doesn't work.

I told you it wasn't your COP's.
Haha i know. And to think that i was all bent outta shape about it being the COP's until you chimed in there...

Idk why people say they can clean their IAC and it WORKS, yet it really doesn't (or at least isnt supposed to)

I'll be hittin up autozone later for a new IAC valve for $55

All mustang GT IAC valves (96-04) fit each other right?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

yes I think the bullet is different but it still mounts the same way.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
yes I think the bullet is different but it still mounts the same way.
Alright. I am just thinking worst case scenario in case the parts store doesnt have a 2001.. You know how some of the people behind the counter are...I just want to go in there knowing what i need to know. So that when they say they dont have an 01, i'll ask for a 99-04 or even 96-04.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Autozone online, and locally want $85 for the IAC; Advance is the same (I just bought one from them a few weeks ago), $83 at NAPA...

They were around $55 to $60 less than 9 months ago, the dollar is being pounded by Washington's reckless spending...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Autozone online, and locally want $85 for the IAC; Advance is the same (I just bought one from them a few weeks ago), $83 at NAPA...

They were around $55 to $60 less than 9 months ago, the dollar is being pounded by Washington's reckless spending...
Damn... i just picked it up yesterday from autozone for $52.99. With tax it was like $56..You must live in an inflated area =/ So do i, but the part was cheap thank God!

Quick Reply: IAC VALVE isn't working...??