4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI intake installed....car runs like $hit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Default PI intake installed....car runs like $hit.

Something is definitely wrong, like it's too lean or too rich. The car is really sluggish and I could barely break the wheels loose when I took off at WOT. I re-installed the Diablo tune thinking that would help, but no. There are also these 2 red vacuum lines that are sucking air, and I can't for the life of me find where they plug back into!! I know it's got something to do with my HVAC controls because now when I turn the **** to vent...floor...mix...etc. nothing happens and it's stuck on defrost.

Here are the pics. Can anyone with a 96-98 GT please look at their car and see where these 2 hoses go? Thanks.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
witch doctor

I can't help with where those lines go, but if that is your problem, (and it should be at least part of it) Plug those lines off so that you get good vacuum and try to run the car again. At least that will tell you if everything else is OK.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1 - you're sucking in un-metered air which will screw up everything...
Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Also, pay attention to those red vacuum lines if you're insisting on using them, they crack really easy.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

haha those go no where near where u have them hooked up lol. i don't know exactly what the thing they attach to is called (vacuum booster) but its right in back of your drivers side head. locate your egr valve on the intake plenum and they hook up to a black circular cylinder with two little hose hook ups comming out of it. you can't miss it. the bracket that holds this vacuum booster thing bolts on to the back of the drivers side head. the hoses route under the drivers side fuel rails. hope this helps. sry for the exact tech lingo lol but that should help you find where they go.

Last edited by massred98gt; 01-05-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

oh ya and the single hose that doens't have a double attachment goes on top of the egr valve. the vacuum from the hose opens and closes the egr.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
oh ya and the single hose that doens't have a double attachment goes on top of the egr valve. the vacuum from the hose opens and closes the egr.
Now I'm even more confused because there is already a hose hooked up on top of the EGR valve, and the black cylinder-looking thing behind the EGR valve is where the red hoses begin! The hoses start there, and one big one goes to the throttle body, and the other two ends look like they are supposed to route somewhere on the passenger side! Is there anyway somebody could post a pic of their car and how this hose routes? I would appreciate it. Also, do you guys think this would have something to do with my HVAC control not working, or is that electrical? The blower speed **** works fine, it's the vent/floor/mix **** that doesn't work. Also, has anyone here done JUST a PI intake swap and not heads? I didn't think I would need a tune after this swap, but the way the car is running now I think I don't have a choice. Thanks.

OK, here are some more pics to better explain.

Here you can see where the red and green hoses come out of the black cylinder looking thing, and the green hose ends on top of the EGR valve. Notice the red hose continues on.

This is where one section of the red hose goes into the TB.

And the hoses continue on...with nowhere to go!

Last edited by FixFalcon; 01-05-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Its been a while, but here I go....Ok well the end that DOESNT have the 90* elbow goes straight into a white plastic nipple on the other end of the vac line. Should be up near the firewall passenger side by the A/C dryer. The piece with the 90* I BELIEVE goes onto the fuel pressure regulator on the dirver side fuel rail. Its long so it can wrap around..

Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Its been a while, but here I go....Ok well the end that DOESNT have the 90* elbow goes straight into a white plastic nipple on the other end of the vac line. Should be up near the firewall passenger side by the A/C dryer. The piece with the 90* I BELIEVE goes onto the fuel pressure regulator on the dirver side fuel rail. Its long so it can wrap around..

I appreciate the response, but the place where you told me to put the end that DOESN'T have the 90* elbow already has a tube there...so no dice. About the 90* piece on the driver side fuel regulator....are you talking about the little plastic screw-on cap? If so, I've never even messed with that to begin with.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

my bad i thought u had the drivers side screwed up. so yes the double piece does go into the plenum and the single piece does go into the fuel regulator as stated above. right to the left of the fuel regulator there plastic hose with a little nipple on it that runs down into the firewall. you should have one last hose to connect and thats where it goes. i would take some pics for ya but i smashed my camera boardin the other day.

Quick Reply: PI intake installed....car runs like $hit.