4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CAM SUGGESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Default CAM SUGGESTIONS

HEY GUYS FOR A WHILE IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT PUTTING SOME CAMS IN MY PI HEADS BEFORE THE SWAP IS DONE. I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON CAMS (FOR EXAMPLE STAGE 1 STAGE 2 AND BRANDS) ALSO ALL OTHER MODS THAT I WILL NEED FOR THE CAMS. THE ONLY OTHER PLANS I HAVE FOR THIS CAR IS BIGGER INJECTORS AND A TUNE. THANKS
Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Not that there aren't hundreds of threads with this exact question, if I were getting new cams I would get Stage 1 cams, that of course would be if I didn't want to do headwork and go with a bigger cam. Stage 2 cams, minus Modular Head Shop Stage 2 cams, will have very little PTV clearance.

Everybody else on this site except one, will say go Stage 2 cams. CMS, Hitech, Comp, Bullet are all pretty popular cams along with MHS.

A tune will be a must and bigger injectors are a good addition to new cams.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Not that there aren't hundreds of threads with this exact question, if I were getting new cams I would get Stage 1 cams, that of course would be if I didn't want to do headwork and go with a bigger cam. Stage 2 cams, minus Modular Head Shop Stage 2 cams, will have very little PTV clearance.

Everybody else on this site except one, will say go Stage 2 cams. CMS, Hitech, Comp, Bullet are all pretty popular cams along with MHS.

A tune will be a must and bigger injectors are a good addition to new cams.
Except one??? Who might that be???

OP, i totally agree with WannaBeGearHead. If you want some great cams that perform good, require no springs, and have no possible ptv clearence issues, then these MHS cams might be what you're looking for.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

but if you go stage 2 don't forget that you MUST buy valve springs along with the cams.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

ok so say i were to go with the stage 2 cams, what would i need to make the ptv clearance?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
ok so say i were to go with the stage 2 cams, what would i need to make the ptv clearance?
It depends on what stage 2's your going with. Most of them will need to be retarted slightly to create safe clearence with the stock pi valve and piston. Only problem is that you will loose a little power when doing that. Or you can take your chances like many others. Personally, i'd rather have cams that can be installed straight up, and have a safe clearence, that still make good power.

Call Nick at Modular Head Shop, and draw your own conclusions. I did a boat load of research in this area (talked to some of the top Modular engine builders in the country too) and most agree that we need at least 0.040" to be at safe operation. Most popular stage 2's offer anywhere from 0.005" to 0.015" when installed at the advertised intake centerline.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

^^^ Didn't you say some builders want at least .070" of clearance otherwise they won't send the motors out to their customers?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
^^^ Didn't you say some builders want at least .070" of clearance otherwise they won't send the motors out to their customers?
Yes, a lot do. There have been a couple of places that have said 0,040" clearence (minimum) would be acceptable if you're not spinning the motor to high.

Last edited by mrtstang; 01-06-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I just installed cms stage 1s. Install was very easy for the most part. Should have it running by today or tmrw an will post a vid.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
I just installed cms stage 1s. Install was very easy for the most part. Should have it running by today or tmrw an will post a vid.
Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: CAM SUGGESTIONS