4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

anyone ever install a new carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Default anyone ever install a new carpet

i bought a carpet off of merican muscle the other day, it has no cutouts at alll, its such a pain to install this thing because it all wrinkled up, i let it sit out for 3 days too...anyone have any tips? i hope i didnt ruin it by cutting the areas too big
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

never done it, but my guess would be to take the old one out...then lay it over the new one and transfer any holes or cut features you need to.

again i dont know if it can be that easy as i dont know what either one looks like outside of a car.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Mine wasn't new, it was used, and pretty straight forward since everything was cut. It can be a bit of a pain getting everything tight and tucked, but other than that, no problems. I hung mine up to wash it and everything, it really was wrinkled or anything, but you may wanna hang it over the weekend, see if gravity doesn't pull everything down and out.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

I dont have any first hand experence with this but I read someone with the same problem on another forum. This is what someone else said to help him, it sounds like what you will need to do too.

"A number of years ago I saw a home improvement show trick that showed them using a steamer to remove carpet indentations from furniture sitting in the nap.

I believe that in your case the backing is creased and "normal" efforts (sitting in the sun, hope it lays flat) simply do nt work because the crease is too well set. Think pants presser. You don't get the wrinkles out by setting them in the sun, etc.

I have used this technique a number of times at home with great success. I also "steamed" a convertiable top on a Porsche that had been left in the down position for 5 years to get rid of the creases. I got 90% of them out in one pass.

I would recommend the following:

If you have access to a steamer, just relay the carpet and steam from the top to "soften" the carpet fibers and the backing. Press flat with a towel (to help shape it to the floor and protect your hands) until cool. Do entire crease 1 time, one area at a time and repeat as necessary.

I bought a cheap travel steamer for about 5 bucks and it has worked fine, but that was 10 years ago I think that you can buy a MUCH better model in Target-like store for this job. Also check your home steam iron, it may have a "steam" feature built into it. If you use a steam iron, place a towel between the sole plate and the carpet to prevent "heat-shine" caused by pressing the hot sole plate onto carpeting that has a melting point.

Also, start with an area that is hidden or work from the back to be sure your trial and error time does not damage the carpet face.

Hope that helps."
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

ok thanks for the input, i did transfer the old to the new like in the first reply earlier today and i did cut too much carpet where the center console goes i think once i lay it in i can use like an adhesive spray and reattach the cut piece back where it supposed to go directly to the floorpan
Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

I read farther in the thread that I got the steam cleaner from. Someone replied to it saying that it got the worse crease out after a couple of passes. Also It was for auto carpet
Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I installed a new carpet in my car too, i purchased it from CJ pony parts and it was the same story, it was all folded and wrinkled and there was no cu tout for the center console or the pedals. What i did was take the interior out of the car then laid down the new carpet without cutting it, then put the old carpet on top of it and simply put the interior back in without actually bolthing any of it down, then after 2 days it was kinda shaped to fit, then just traced the cutouts for the center console and pedals based on the old carpet and it was a perfect fit.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

i bought my carpet used from a 98 cobra. the guy had it folded up and had boxes sitting on it so it was quite creased in a few areas. i put the carpet in, cut a few holes here and there. the creases were only apparent at first but after a week they went away.