4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trick Flow or Accufab TB and Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Here is some basic information about TB & plenum upgrades--read it and you will find it really doesn't matter brand you buy. The Accufab is very attractive, but pricey--in their numbers (see the link) it did somewhat better than the competitors, but better by an irrelevant amount because the engine doesn't need that much air--however also remember those are their numbers.

Beyond that use the forum's search function--there have been probably 100 threads about this over the last 2 years.

As to power increase from a TB & plenum mod, not much if that's all you do. Some report "better throttle response" whatever that means? The engine will rev-up faster with no load, just because having the larger TB opens up a bigger "hole" for any given pedal position.

My recommend upgrade path is:
  • open up the exhaust (2-1/2" mid-pipe and cat-back;
  • buy a tuning system and load a premium fuel tune;
  • rear-end gears (3.73 or 4.10 according to your preference;
  • get a wideband O2 system (essential for tuning);
  • then TB & plenum and tweak the tune'
in that order--or do the tuning system first...

The OEM 87 octane tune is VERY conservative, and tends to be a bit rich at WOT. I believe this was intentional to make the engine a bit more difficult to blow up while under warranty, however it significantly hobbles performance.

I have never loaded a premium fuel tune, into even a dead stock GT, that the owner didn't come back with a grin after their first drive...

I have just about everything you have listed except the wideband o2 sensors. (What is that by the way?) I have a diablosport predator handheld tuner. Ive messed around with it a couple of times and I felt no power increase. Whats the most important thing to change when Im trying to tune my car?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

a wideband O2 will tell you your Air/fuel ratio(it measures it in the exhaust like the o2 sensors you have now, but more accurately), too lean(not enough fuel/too much air) and your motor can be destroyed. example: catalytic converters work best at an AFR of ~14.7. im no expert, so you can read more about it, just google it.

its a tool that helps you tune you car. AFR + spark would be the 2 biggest things that you could change to help get some more power, but you'd need dyno time to get the actual results. though, if you take it to dyno, they usually have a wideband system they can hook up.

oh and if your lookin for the max performance - the 93 tunes are probably gunna get you farther. it shouldnt be too much more for 93? last i filled up there was only like a 10-12 cent difference.

edit: btw, has anyone dont a "comparison" between say the BBK 78mm vs the Pro products 75TB/Plenum combo? both are about the same price range, and to me both look good, and im really in need of a budget TB/plenum soon.

Last edited by zero2005; 02-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by offthewall158
I have just about everything you have listed except the wideband o2 sensors. (What is that by the way?) I have a diablosport predator handheld tuner. Ive messed around with it a couple of times and I felt no power increase. Whats the most important thing to change when Im trying to tune my car?
You need to read this book--Greg Banish's Engine Management-Advanced Tuning, then you'll know what needs to be done.

In way of starting things out, the most important thing to change is the octane of the fuel (93 if you can get it), and bump the Global Spark Adderand Borderline Spark Table values by +2°.

I have not used a Predator for a couple years and do not remember the exact seting for doing this--I'm sure the manual or another forum member can help out.

Do not mess with the fueling until you get a wide band O2 system--I use Innovate's LC-1 however I no longer recommend it because their support is so bad--it's a great system, but if you have a problem they are not very responsive. There are many other WBO2 systems out there, Jegs has a bunch listed...
Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by zero2005
<snip>
edit: btw, has anyone dont a "comparison" between say the BBK 78mm vs the Pro products 75TB/Plenum combo? both are about the same price range, and to me both look good, and im really in need of a budget TB/plenum soon.
Because you are running f/i it is literally a six of one and 1/2 dozen of the other decision--pick whichever you think looks best, the difference between the 75mm and 78mm throttle bore is negligible at 9 psi...
Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

just get the 78mm now, so later on you wont be wonder how much better will my car be with that 78mm vs the 75mm. =)