4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trick Flow or Accufab TB and Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 AM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Default Trick Flow or Accufab TB and Plenum

Getting a TB and plenum for my 02 GT. Im looking at getting a combo kit from trick flow. it runs about $220. accufab makes the same setup but for about $200 more. why is it so much more expensive? is it worth the extra money?

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....5&autoview=sku

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ac42v75thbop.html
Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM
GTVAPSAMTIK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by offthewall158
Getting a TB and plenum for my 02 GT. Im looking at getting a combo kit from trick flow. it runs about $220. accufab makes the same setup but for about $200 more. why is it so much more expensive? is it worth the extra money?

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....5&autoview=sku

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ac42v75thbop.html
THink I have the same question, I wanna fine out if there is any real benefit of this upgrade on a STOCK GT.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have the Accufab tb/plenum combo. Is it worth the extra cost??? I don't know, but mine works great. No idle issues, everything fit perfectly, and it looks cool lol.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here is some basic information about TB & plenum upgrades--read it and you will find it really doesn't matter brand you buy. The Accufab is very attractive, but pricey--in their numbers (see the link) it did somewhat better than the competitors, but better by an irrelevant amount because the engine doesn't need that much air--however also remember those are their numbers.

Beyond that use the forum's search function--there have been probably 100 threads about this over the last 2 years.

As to power increase from a TB & plenum mod, not much if that's all you do. Some report "better throttle response" whatever that means? The engine will rev-up faster with no load, just because having the larger TB opens up a bigger "hole" for any given pedal position.

My recommend upgrade path is:
  • open up the exhaust (2-1/2" mid-pipe and cat-back;
  • buy a tuning system and load a premium fuel tune;
  • rear-end gears (3.73 or 4.10 according to your preference;
  • get a wideband O2 system (essential for tuning);
  • then TB & plenum and tweak the tune'
in that order--or do the tuning system first...

The OEM 87 octane tune is VERY conservative, and tends to be a bit rich at WOT. I believe this was intentional to make the engine a bit more difficult to blow up while under warranty, however it significantly hobbles performance.

I have never loaded a premium fuel tune, into even a dead stock GT, that the owner didn't come back with a grin after their first drive...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 PM
StripeyGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 for Cliff's great reply.

Personally, I'd go for the Accufab set up for the reason mrtstang said, it looks cool. When I pop the hood, I want all my buddies to oooh and ahhh over it as much as I want it to add a little performance.

Don't forget you can get the forum discount if you buy it at AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:00 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ive had the accufab 75mm tb and plenum for 3 years now, no complaints.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

My powder-coated Pro Products doesn't look too shabby...

Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

woah, how much it cost to get that thing powder coated? thats pretty sweet. for me, its a choice between that and a BBK 78mm for looks.

edit: dont spose you'd make me one of them MGW boots would ya? lol god that shifter looks sexy like that.

Last edited by zero2005; 02-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I was showing it (the PP plenum) off to a friend in a local plating/finsh shop and asked how much to coat it? Well he was just getting ready to shoot candy-apple red on a bike frame/tank/etc, and said "If candy-apple red is OK then clean it, mask it, and hang it"...

A hour and a half, and a few beers (my treat), later I was on the way home with it...

It would probably cost $30 to $60 depending on how much prep you did before bringing it in, and how picky about color you are--if you pick a color they are shooting that day, or shoot often, it will cost a less...

Sorry about the boot, however the arthritis in my hands is so bad that it took over a day to make mine...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

aw dang no boot lol.

shoot, even not painted that plenum looks pretty sick, wonder how well it would do with boost?

guess i'll just have to see if i can get my wifes mom to help me make a boot.

Quick Reply: Trick Flow or Accufab TB and Plenum