4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O/R X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Default O/R X pipe question

Ive got a UPR O/R x-pipe on my 02 gt. To keep the check engine light from coming on, I used a set of spark plug couplers to pull the rear two o2 sensors out of the exhaust flow which works fine. I also have UPR shorty headers and flowmaster 40 series weld-in mufflers. I have not felt much of a performance increase since ive done my exhaust. Im a little surprised by this because Ive heard people say that on o/r x-pipe will give you a pretty decent performance increase because it is so much less constrictive than a catted midpipe. My friend mentioned to me that this may be because I used the spark plug couplers to keep my check engine light from coming on. Would I feel any performance increase if I used MIL eliminators instead of the spark plug couplers?

Last edited by offthewall158; 02-07-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

zero. mil eliminators do nothing except keep your check engine light off. your car doesnt give 2 ****s what the rear 02 sensors do except to trigger a check engine light because your cats aren't working.

there will be 100000% zero performance gain from doing that.

welcome to the world of 2v's. your bolton mods will do little for performance. on a dyno you probably gained 5hp but its not something your really going to feel.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
zero. mil eliminators do nothing except keep your check engine light off. your car doesnt give 2 ****s what the rear 02 sensors do except to trigger a check engine light because your cats aren't working.

there will be 100000% zero performance gain from doing that.

welcome to the world of 2v's. your bolton mods will do little for performance. on a dyno you probably gained 5hp but its not something your really going to feel.
so are you saying im not gonna feel s*** for performance until i do heads cams and s/c?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by offthewall158
so are you saying im not gonna feel s*** for performance until i do heads cams and s/c?
nah you can feel the difference in things but SMALL differences. the best thing to do if you go this route is to do mulitple mods at a time like intake throttle body, and plenum. probably wont feel anything with just an intake for example. the 1 thing you will feel is gears LOL.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 AM
2000BlkGtConvgobucks
1st Gear Member

Nitrous! :-)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

what are these spark plug couplers you speak of? never heard of anything like that to keep the CEL from coming on.

i agree with people saying you wont feel much. after CAI, TB and plenum, exhaust work, and a tune you would prob feel a diff.

i have CAI, tb and plenum, O/R x pipe, magnaflow catback and going to do a dyno tune. only reason i have those is because they were a good deal or was a present ahah. so a tune will take advantage to my mods and im not going juice or FI so if i have mods,tune the car to get the best out of them.

ohh and most people do exhaust just for sound knowing the gains wont be much. unless you have a high HP race car....changes like catless or catted midpipes or changing mufflers on a basically stock car will not net you noticable gains.

get a dyno tune and then you will prob feel a diff.

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-08-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
what are these spark plug couplers you speak of? never heard of anything like that to keep the CEL from coming on.

i agree with people saying you wont feel much. after CAI, TB and plenum, exhaust work, and a tune you would prob feel a diff.

i have CAI, tb and plenum, O/R x pipe, magnaflow catback and going to do a dyno tune. only reason i have those is because they were a good deal or was a present ahah. so a tune will take advantage to my mods and im not going juice or FI so if i have mods,tune the car to get the best out of them.

ohh and most people do exhaust just for sound knowing the gains wont be much. unless you have a high HP race car....changes like catless or catted midpipes or changing mufflers on a basically stock car will not net you noticable gains.

get a dyno tune and then you will prob feel a diff.
This is from another thread I posted a while back:
you cant beat the sound of an o/r x-pipe on a mustang, not to mention the performance. i have a upr catless x-pipe on my 02 GT and what i did to keep the ses light from coming on is got a set of spark plug couplers and drilled them out so that the o2 sensors could screw into them, and then screwed the couplers with the o2 sensors into the x-pipe. all this does is pull the o2 sensors out of the exhaust flow which will keep your ses light from coming on. you can get the couplers from any auto parts store for about $4 and i can get you a specific part number if you need it. you only need two for the rear two o2 sensors. this isnt the easiest way but its definitely the cheapest. the only other way i know of to keep the ses light from coming on is to get a set of mil elliminators but theyre about $60.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by offthewall158
This is from another thread I posted a while back:
you cant beat the sound of an o/r x-pipe on a mustang, not to mention the performance. i have a upr catless x-pipe on my 02 GT and what i did to keep the ses light from coming on is got a set of spark plug couplers and drilled them out so that the o2 sensors could screw into them, and then screwed the couplers with the o2 sensors into the x-pipe. all this does is pull the o2 sensors out of the exhaust flow which will keep your ses light from coming on. you can get the couplers from any auto parts store for about $4 and i can get you a specific part number if you need it. you only need two for the rear two o2 sensors. this isnt the easiest way but its definitely the cheapest. the only other way i know of to keep the ses light from coming on is to get a set of mil elliminators but theyre about $60.
PART NUMBER FOR THE COUPLERS PLZ
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
austinchaney
1st Gear Member

i agree. bolt ons dont do much. once you have all air flow clear it doesnt really do too much good unless you have heads. get gears
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
PART NUMBER FOR THE COUPLERS PLZ
I dont know the part number off the top of my head but a guy I work with knows it. Ill have to get it for you at the end of this week when I go into work.

Quick Reply: O/R X pipe