4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

FYI... Those with Mishimoto Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation FYI... Those with Mishimoto Radiators

Recently I purchased a Mishimoto Radiator because my factory radiator leaked. After smelling coolant regularly, I noticed coolant coming through the backside of the radiator on both driver and passenger sides. I contacted Mishimoto about a replacement and was sent the following information.

"We’ve discovered the issue with some Mustang models is due to the location and size of the brackets and vibration isolators that hold the radiator in place. Different models (even within the same years) have different locations. Although they only vary slightly, it is causing the radiator to be too tight. When the car torques, the radiator is then pulled slightly out of place.
We have devised a fix for this issue. We are developing a new replacement bracket and vibration isolator which allows for a higher tolerance when the chassis shifts causing the radiator to have stress on its weak points. This will fix the issue and will work with any year or model ford. This is being released in the next few weeks."

I figured it may be useful to those who have purchased or are considering this radiator. It seems to be a fairly common problem. **I was notified February 15th would be the release date. I purchased a Ford Racing Aluminum radiator and will be selling the "Fixed" Mishimoto. If interested PM me.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

i bought one last year and they sent a 2 core. it started leaking after a few weeks and i called mishimoto. they sent me a replacement without even asking for the old one back. the new one they sent me was a 3 core with better welding on the end tanks. its been on for about a month and there is a little coolant leaking, but i think its coming from the lower hose
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM
MuscratGT99
1st Gear Member

I heard about this issue, too. I have heard that they have a set of additional brackets to allow the radiator to fit better to prevent this to be released by 2/20 or so. I hope this is the fix we all need. If so, I'll be first in line to buy one.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

I dont think its gonna help much honestly. the hoses stretch slightly when the motor torques.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 AM
MuscratGT99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.698GT
I dont think its gonna help much honestly. the hoses stretch slightly when the motor torques.
How do you figure? They addressed a problem... why would there be additional issues?

What does the hoses stretching have anything to do with it?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

i talked to chris at mishimoto after i found out the radiator was indeed leaking. He apologized and said that they would send me a new radiator along with new support brackets here soon. I believe they have already tested a car with the new brackets and fixed the issue
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
b96gtman
1st Gear Member

That is why i bought a Fluidyne! 3 core. Better quality, thicker better welds. I run the hell outa my car, never once had a problem with it and ive had it quite a while and on a few different builds too.Fluidyne or Ford Racing are the only brands tht my shop and others ive talked to recomended. Good luck with that. I too kno a cuple people tht have had this problem with their Mish rad leekin.Sux.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:41 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I been running a fluidyne for 2 years and I have never seen a spec of coolant
Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
MuscratGT99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by b96gtman
That is why i bought a Fluidyne! 3 core.
Yea? Mishimoto's look to be 3 cores, too. (All 94+ Mustang Rads are at least)
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuscratGT99
Yea? Mishimoto's look to be 3 cores, too. (All 94+ Mustang Rads are at least)
All the new Mishimoto radiators are high quality 3 core radiators. The welding is great but there was a big problem with the mounting points. The car is basically pulling the radiators apart at the welds. Theyre sending out adjustable support brackets now that they have found the issue. Mishimoto radiators have worked really well in other cars, its just this specific application. If you notice, they havent had any issues like this out of the 05+ crowd or the 87-93 foxbody crowd

Quick Reply: FYI... Those with Mishimoto Radiators