4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Project: step I engine build. What should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 PM
1nstysnake
1st Gear Member

this is what i have on the car already:back to front:

8.8 4.10 ford racing ring&pinion
ford racing 31spline axels & differential
bbk upr&lower control arms
subframe connectors
ford racing aluminum driveshaft
spec stage 3 clutch& aluminum flyweel
tr3650 trans steeda 3peace adjustible clutch cable quadrant
hooker long tubes xpipe w/o cats magnaflow series exaust
polyurethane engine mounts
professional products intake manifold
^ pp plenum pp 75mm throttle body
^ pp fuel rails
ford racing 24lb inj
jlt intake
90mm mass
bbk under drive pullys
180' stat
sct xcal 2 tunner
150 wet wot
eliminated: rear 02 sencors, egr valve, front sway bar, ac, powersteering
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
1nstysnake
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5sp04GT
i guess ive been wachin too many videos of cars blowing up on the juice.... makes me worry
i know what you mean my friend has a 1995 svt cobra on 150 wet and after like 200 passes on the spray piston number 3 cracked a nickle sized nic out of it and some how the exaust valve was open when it happend and it shot out the exaust, didnt even scratch the cylinder wall.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
1nstysnake
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1nstysnake
this is what i have on the car already:back to front:

8.8 4.10 ford racing ring&pinion
ford racing 31spline axels & differential
bbk upr&lower control arms
subframe connectors
ford racing aluminum driveshaft
spec stage 3 clutch& aluminum flyweel
tr3650 trans steeda 3peace adjustible clutch cable quadrant
hooker long tubes xpipe w/o cats magnaflow series exaust
polyurethane engine mounts
professional products intake manifold
^ pp plenum pp 75mm throttle body
^ pp fuel rails
ford racing 24lb inj
jlt intake
90mm mass
bbk under drive pullys
180' stat
sct xcal 2 tunner
150 wet wot
eliminated: rear 02 sencors, egr valve, front sway bar, ac, powersteering
and pro 50 shifter
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 AM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

you go a pretty good list going there haha. what do you plan on for internals, and how many passes with your 150 shot do you have on that engine?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 AM
1nstysnake
1st Gear Member

you go a pretty good list going there haha. what do you plan on for internals, and how many passes with your 150 shot do you have on that engine?
remembering that the car has been in storage for 3 years was the last time the gt was sprayed i probaly made 15 to 20 passes with the 150 shot and 2 of those passes were at the track, it pulled 11.96@113.99 mph 1/4 mile 1.60 sixty foot..

the internals idk yet i want to build something different as far as the bottom end i was thinking je pistons or mahle pistons, if any body has some good ideas that would be great.
the top end i was thinking some patriot perfomance stage 2,3 heads
but my friends say the pi head with a port job and cams, cam gear,and valve springs from patriot would be the same as the staged heads being there about the same and the pi heads are aluminum?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

IMHO - get a rotating assembly from Tymensky at Modular Performance as he will put a proper piston notch in it for a real nitrous cam.

Ported PI heads are all you need, Patriots are ported PI heads. You fry a TFS head under boost and have to replace it your pocketbook will not be happy. Plus nitrous/boost is the great equalizer when it comes to head flow, the more nitrous/boost you have the more you really need reliability rather than some monster flow number.

Edelbrock intake is the best for a nitrous car as it doesn't have the plenum on the bottom holding a load of liquid waiting for the next backfire.

I know a few people building these combos now, 7000RPM on the juice with that intake is a seriously fast car.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

I have a mid-2001 GT with the TR3650 trans, I am taking this car I had in storage for III years and decided to build it its already a full bolt on car with a 8.8 31spline differential 4.10 ford racing gears. Im wanting to build the block top to bottom, money is not an issue and just was debating with some friends about what i should do first. should i port the stock pi heads and throw in a nice Comp Cams Stage II Xtreme Energy XE270AH Cams with Comp Cams Adjustable Cam Gears and Comp Cams Valve Springs Kit Beehive or should i just buy the Patriot Performance 2V Stage II Cylinder Heads instead of using the OEM factory pi heads? what about the bottom end to hold up on a wet 200 shot of nitrous?
im building a 5.4 right now for my 01 mustang this is my second build. i also love nitrous there are alot of different combination out there it is definatly confusing and everyone has ideas. your just going to have to take it all in root thru all the bull**** and decide for yourself it has been difficult for me there is so much info out there. i went with manely h beams manely 12to1 pistons and a forged crank. comp cam stage three 278s, trick flow heads,ported.edlebrock intake, sullivan elbow, and twin 64 cobra throttle body. iam going to be spraying a 200 shot on a plate any more than that i believe would have to be a direct port system that i might do with a two stage 200 thru the direct port and 100 thru the plate i would be happy to offer up any ideas i have been working on this new build for about three months now and have gathered alot of info and my last build was a 4.6 still have some parts left i pushed her a little to hard had a d-1 on it and a 200 shot still picking up the pieces i hope to be making about around 500 horsepower at the crank and close to 575 tork and than some n/a. with this new build. lol.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Are the trickflows better than patriot heads?
yes

Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
IMHO - get a rotating assembly from Tymensky at Modular Performance as he will put a proper piston notch in it for a real nitrous cam.

Ported PI heads are all you need, Patriots are ported PI heads. You fry a TFS head under boost and have to replace it your pocketbook will not be happy. Plus nitrous/boost is the great equalizer when it comes to head flow, the more nitrous/boost you have the more you really need reliability rather than some monster flow number.

Edelbrock intake is the best for a nitrous car as it doesn't have the plenum on the bottom holding a load of liquid waiting for the next backfire.

I know a few people building these combos now, 7000RPM on the juice with that intake is a seriously fast car.

just so im clear the trickflows flow better but dont hold up as well with boost as the patriots do. patriots r more reliable in that case is what you r sayin? i ask becuz this is in the future for me as well.... ideally lol
Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 PM
mark a rittenhouse
1st Gear Member

just so im clear the trickflows flow better but dont hold up as well with boost as the patriots do. patriots r more reliable in that case is what you r sayin? i ask becuz this is in the future for me as well.... ideally lol
i dont think that is what he is saying,trick flows a better head but more exspensive if you have to replace one of them. i think ha. ha.

Quick Reply: New Project: step I engine build. What should I buy?