4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

on3 turbo mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005

though, if you do get the kit, im gunna say, there's gunna be parts you wanna dump. like thier cheap chinese piece of crap wastegate. at the very least, the wastegate needs a tial spring, so you know for sure, what pressure the spring is rated for.
Is the spring thing the only issue you have with the wastegate? or have you had other problems with it? If so, why not just put the ~5psi spring in there and run a manual boost controller so you can adjust on the fly. Just curious since I plan on getting this kit when I get rid of the procharger setup.

To the OP, from what I've seen of the 99-01 cobras and 03-04 mach engine bays they are very similar, and I think that the cobra kit would work fine, except there would be no place to route the air the shaker scoop gets, unless you wanted to fab your own pipe from the scoop to the turbo inlet, or just leave it for looks.

Last edited by Chris98Gt; 02-16-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

yea, i've heard nothing but problems with MBC's (boost creep, fluttering, surging). if i was gunna go that route (i may still) i would get an EBC (electronic). but, i kinda wanted to skip that, because, overly playing with boost controllers, can blow the motor if you dont have backup from a forged motor.

imagine this - rollin down the road, you get stomped on by some ricer, your already at 420 rwhp, but hey, your only at say 8 psi, so you play with the MBC, pump up the boost a bit, you've done it before with no ill effects, and then BLAM. you got a hole in ur motor. i figure, at the very least, having to pull the springs is a friggin pain, and requires a good minute to change, keeping my motor together that much longer. that and a what if the BC fails and your bleeding off all the boost going to the wastegate causing your boost to skyrocket, or at the very least causing boost leak?

but yea, my biggest peave is the wastegate right now. oh and the v-band clamps. lol. i busted my hand so many times, and spent a full 12 hours tryin to figure out wth to do. ended up *modifying* (my dremel loves me) the crappy clamps. but aparently no other kits from on3 that have been shipped have had the problem i had. the v-band clamps seemed too small, which they may well have been. and really it was only 2 of the 6 clamps i had problems with -- the 2 smaller 2.5" clamps used to merge on the driver side, just above the a-arm, inside the k-member...

i alert him to all the problems i have, as to further help develop the kit and ensure that any other customers wont have the same problems. he pulled some of the kits and found a couple others with messed up clamps and had stated that he is swaping them out. he offered to overnight me clamps, but i told him i already modified the ones i have.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Well, my dad has a mbc on his 2.3l turbo and it works and holds 18psi fine, I've not seen a problem with his so far, and I've drove that car plenty of times. I've also got a forged motor on the stand waiting for when I get this kit and put everything together so I shouldn't have to worry about being on the edge with a tune. I know my senario isn't yours, and I see your point, but a little self control can keep from cranking it up too high. If thats the only problem with the wastegate, it's not a big deal with me, thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

the manual boost controller is only meant to double the spring pressure of the wastegate. so if you have a 5lb spring in the wastegate you can only get 10lbs with an MBC reliably. People misuse them all the time and thats what causes boost creep and other issues. I use a Hallman Pro rx boost controller. It was recommended to me by a few people with turbo cobras. It holds steady boost all the time. It actually spools the turbo faster than if you just ran it off the wastegate. Its because you dont have a huge spring in there. You dont want to go playing with your boost settings. You should have it tuned on one setting and leave it there. If you want the ability to change the boost level around youll need seperate tunes. It would be best to get an electronic controller in that case so you can dial in boost perfectly every time. (on these cars with returnless fuel, ect.)
Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

my car was tuned for 9 psi, problem was that Mike (chads lil on3 helper) confused my tuner Craig by telling him that only the stock spring is needed for 8.8 psi. which was wrong. so once we got it on the dyno, she pushed 400+, but we werent payin attension to the gauge after that (it was ghetto rigged and sittin on the top of the manifold) and the boost dropped off, along with the numbers, my theory behind this was the spring got "broken in" and settled in to its pressure, we just didnt realize what was happening as the numbers were dropping off every pull.

341/406 final numbers, with a tune for 9 psi (well 8.8), when actually running at 5.5 psi. not sure if you read my on3 thread, but once i get the chance, craig said bring it back for some new numbers once i get the chance. i actually just swapped back to only running the 5.5 spring, and after what you said am considering getting a MBC to bump it up.

sorry for the stealing of the thread. lol.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:17 AM
SeeingRed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
sure you can get an ebay kit to make hella hp on the dyno, but how long would it last? I saw the on3 kit at speedy dyno in KY on a 2v car. Greg said the kit didnt come with a support bracket for the turbo, and thats what caused the issues later on. Welds start cracking because the turbo is only supported by the piping. I think with some modifications it can be a decent kit, but thats where extra money comes in and by the time you know it you could have went with a nicer kit
This particular car had the twins on for probably about 2.5 years and only took it off because he built an n/a big bore 4v motor for the car instead.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Gearhead559
2nd Gear Member

not sure who said it, but the mod motor kits are suppose to come with a support brace for the turbo.(iirc) if your kit didnt come with one, then you better call and find out where it is.

hopefully we can get to making revisions with the kits. I'll be starting work on the sn95 kits very soon.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i called chad directly earlier, he said there was no brace for the on3 kits anymore, that was only on older kits, and all it did was support it to the swaybar (which i dont even have right now)

im in the middle of fabricating a bracket to hold the turbo from the bolts on the alternator. i just bought a MIG welder, and will be welding some brackets under the car to help support the exhaust downstream too. im thinkin a couple more where the piping gets close to the frame/k-member too.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
naza
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
i called chad directly earlier, he said there was no brace for the on3 kits anymore, that was only on older kits, and all it did was support it to the swaybar (which i dont even have right now)

im in the middle of fabricating a bracket to hold the turbo from the bolts on the alternator. i just bought a MIG welder, and will be welding some brackets under the car to help support the exhaust downstream too. im thinkin a couple more where the piping gets close to the frame/k-member too.
take pics bro, for further reference
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Gearhead559
2nd Gear Member

i know the 3v kits we just got in have a bracket...guess i'll have to make a new bracket for the 2v kits..and sell them with my on3 kits.

im working on him and trying to make some changes on the kits for the better. but i do know his 2v car dont have a bracket, and he dailys the hell out of that car, and nothing has went sour yet.