4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Found evidence of front end damage...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sstang
Dont waste your time and money. To do enough damage to hurt anything, your hood or bumper would have very noticeable damage. Not just cracks but chips and dings/dents. Measure the fender bolts to hood hinges like mentioned above to see if they are close to equal. Look at your radiator support (what you called the crossmember) to to make sure it doesnt seem bent. Check for any cracks in the header panel (what the headlights and grill bolt to). If your fenders & hood are in decent alignment then you should be fine.

I do body work btw. My car was hit in the front and I've had the front off several times. Also, how are you certain is was not rocks that cracked the paint? I had several of those on my car before I repainted it. The headlights do seem to point down on the SN95 cars a little bit so I wouldnt worry about that. You can put spacers under them like I did to point them up more.
Im absolutley sure it wasn't rocks. They are not chips in the hood, its spidering in the clearcoat/paint. Have you ever flexed an item that had paint on it, such as a piece of plastic? That is what a small section of the hood looks like, just above the grill. I'll go snap some pics right now and post them up. Gimme ten mins.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

pic of bumper near headlight
pic of where the fiberglass hood flexed
pic of grill and latch
bent hood latch
crack underside of fiberglass hood
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that front end definitely came into contact with something. But I would have to agree with the majority here, I'm sure the damage is limited to what you see. By the pix, it doesn't really look like the latch is bent that much if at all. If you are replacing the hood and header already, then there really shouldn't be any problem in the end.
$150 for 3 hrs body work isn't bad at all, but I, too, don't think you need it.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Looks like it might have ran into a chicken farm and some of the fencing got stuck on your front end
Oh wait someone did that on purpose
Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

if your hood latch was bent the hood wouldnt even be able to close. it has to be lined up perfectly
Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Yeah, that front end definitely came into contact with something. But I would have to agree with the majority here, I'm sure the damage is limited to what you see. By the pix, it doesn't really look like the latch is bent that much if at all. If you are replacing the hood and header already, then there really shouldn't be any problem in the end.
$150 for 3 hrs body work isn't bad at all, but I, too, don't think you need it.
Yes the latch was really bent. I bent it back the best I could by hand, but where the 90 degree bends are at are showing stress cracks from bending it. The hood closes fine but when I pop it, I have trouble unlatching it to actually open the hood. Also, while the hood is fully closed and latched, the front driver side corner bounces about a half inch above where it should when latched. The guy that looked at it said that it was due to a combination of the bent latch and the bumpstops needing adjustment.
As far as the general concensous goes, I too don't think there is significant damage to the front end. I am going to buy a new header along with the hood and body kit just for good measure.
That part that holds the grill and headlights is called a "header", right?
So the parts list thus far is as follows:
Hood
body kit
Hood latch
Header panel (if thats what it's called??)

Do you guys think that should cover it, or should I grab a new set of headlights too?
thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Don't you think it is a little extreme replacing the header panel? You can move the hood latch around to make it easier to open and adjust the bump stops it is pretty easy
Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Don't you think it is a little extreme replacing the header panel? You can move the hood latch around to make it easier to open and adjust the bump stops it is pretty easy
I just figured that since the bumper and hood took damage, that it would be a safe bet to say that the header panel is jacked in some way too.
Honestly, I just don't know. If you saw the damage in person, you would think someone ran the car under a tall vehicle, like a pickup truck or suv.

Last edited by dr.apex; 02-25-2010 at 03:56 PM.